BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to add Remote Start and Keyless Entry via something like the Clifford 950 system. I need help answering the folowing:

- Who makes the best equipment?

- Are there any downsides to models like the Clifford 950?

- Is this money well spent or an utter waste? I have never seen or been in a car with these features.

I live in London and this is my reasoning behind purchasing it:

On a cold day when I am finishing my breakfast, I press the remote start button. I finiish the paper and walk out the door. As soon as I step out I hear the growl of my M3 with Intake and Exhaust. As I approach while admiring the Angel Eyes, the car knows I have the keyless entry in my pocket, unlocks, deactivates the alarm and I a sit down in my prewarmed M. With the engine warmed up and the temperature at my favorite level, I floor it and make it to work in record time feeling like a true :str8pimpi I then walk away and the car unlocks... All this time I never took the keys out of my pocket.

Please let me know your thoughts guys. This sounds cool, but again I do not know the downsides or what systems are the best. All help is much appreciated

·
Stay modded my friends!!!
1,360 Posts
Go with this MOD!!! I have it & love it for the opposite reason of yours: To cool down my interior during these very hot days here in Florida!!! My wife & kiddos are glad I had this mod installed. My car is even manual, with 2 safety cut-off features inmplemented with my remote start system.

With every goodness unfortunately there are downsides. My remote start system is tapped in with my parking brake sensor so I don't see that light up no more on the dash (no biggie) & the system is tapped in to my cruise control somehow that disengages while I'm using it but that hardly happens.

Lastly, if you engage your remote start while your bimmer is in reverse gear your e-brake will not catch it; I hope you have a habit of leaving your car parked in neutral like I do. Prior to installing this, ensure your e-brake tensioner is tightened, by the dealership or the remote start system installer, my installer did mine...

Happy Modding!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
yo ike, you are talking about the cliff 950 right? am new with these systems as well, 'round how much would the system installed cost?

·
1,360 Posts
yo ike, you are talking about the cliff 950 right? am new with these systems as well, 'round how much would the system installed cost?

I have the Valet Keyless Entry/Remote Start System that cost me $200 installed...

·
1,360 Posts
Neh, alles klar!!! My ride is a manual 5sp with the Valet keyless/remote start system and I do have the OEM alarm still...

Which part of Germany are you located in??? I used to live in Germany as well...Laterz

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm around the greater Frankfurt Area. Thanks I gotta get the OEM alarm first and then see about the system you got. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I purchased a Compustar for my E46 because its range of 6000 feet. A lot of folks seem to like this Manufacturer because of its range in Canada. It is a bit more expensive than most other remote starters out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts