BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an SMG on my 2005 M3.
Does anyone know anything about transmission swaps?
Does BMW sell new late model transmissions at all?
I cannot find much info on purchase/ install
THE CAR IS VERY MUCH WORTH KEEPING SO DONT NAG ABOUT SELLING AND GETTING A NEW ONE. (individual estoril blue low miles and all the best mods etc....
2005 m3 conversion to 6spd manual transmission and swap out smg...
I would love a brand new transmission and clutch etc.
I have a guy who can do it just wondering where to buy and how much $ for swap
anyone have any experience with anything like this?

PM ME if you have extensive details

THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
the SMG trans is the same, you can convert to 6spd man if that's what you're inferring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You don't need a new transmission, the SMG uses the same transmission as a manual car, its just the clutch, pedals, pressure plate, shifter, etc... will need to be changed. Depending on where you source your parts, it could only cost a couple hundred dollars. I don't really know any specifics about the swap. You'll have to start searching.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
the SMG trans is the same, you can convert to 6spd man if that's what you're inferring.
right

You don't need a new transmission, the SMG uses the same transmission as a manual car, its just the clutch, pedals, pressure plate, shifter, etc... will need to be changed. Depending on where you source your parts, it could only cost a couple hundred dollars. I don't really know any specifics about the swap. You'll have to start searching.
sort of...

the clutch is also the same.

you need to remove the hydraulics, and replace it for a real shifter. The only problem about doing this is that you'll have no preload on the shifter. The dentent springs arent present in the smg.
This, however, can also be fixed. And you only need a 6spd bellhousing. I know where there's a pile of trannys for sale with some problem if all you need is the bellhousing with the detent springs, pm me. The detent spring are replaceable in the 6spd, but not in the smg bellhousing, it's not accessible.

·
/// Limitless
3,504 Posts
There's one more piece that makes a complete difference in these two trannies. The centering spring mechanism in the manual that brings the shifter to center between 2nd and 4th gear when in neutral. The SMG does not have this piece and the manual needs it or the shifter will be limp when in neutral. I don't know the details of installing the centering mechanism but I have read that it requires machining to be done.

Still the SMG transmission that came with the car is probably in better shape than 80% of the manual tranmission cars you might get your hands on if you buy used. New will be nearly 4k.

You will also need to program the SMG out of your DME (ECU), LSZ (Lighting control module), and the KOMBI (instrument cluster). You may also need ot recode the EWS and align the DME with the EWS. The ASC/DSC coding should be alright. An independent shop with access to a GT1 or Autologic should be able to handle this part.

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
There's one more piece that makes a complete difference in these two trannies. The centering spring mechanism in the manual that brings the shifter to center between 2nd and 4th gear when in neutral. The SMG does not have this piece and the manual needs it or the shifter will be limp when in neutral. I don't know the details of installing the centering mechanism but I have read that it requires machining to be done.

Still the SMG transmission that came with the car is probably in better shape than 80% of the manual tranmission cars you might get your hands on if you buy used. New will be nearly 4k.

You will also need to program the SMG out of your DME (ECU), LSZ (Lighting control module), and the KOMBI (instrument cluster). You may also need ot recode the EWS and align the DME with the EWS. The ASC/DSC coding should be alright. An independent shop with access to a GT1 or Autologic should be able to handle this part.
It may be possible to install detent springs in the smg belhousing, if you machine it, now that you mention it. But I think it would be a ton more work than just getting the bellhousing off a 6speed stuck in gear or something.

I didn't think about dme realignment. But if you're in wpb, in Orlando, FL, PSI has a GT1 and can realign your dme.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey im thinking of doing the same thing to my m3 i have a 2005 and would love to convert to stick but im afraid it will cost me a arm and a leg . wat you guys think keep smg or do the swap?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts