E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here.

My dad just replaced the rear springs on my 2003 325xi because the right one broke. We spent a couple hours looking for new springs. We couldn't believe on how difficult they are to find. We finally settled on some springs from eBay. They are similar to OEM springs but after my dad installed them, my car sits lower. At first he thought it was my imagination but the car now grinds on the tailpipe every time i pull in and out of the driveway. I looked the springs back up online and the compatibility only comes close to a 2004 325. Could there really be that big of a difference between models? And could sticking with these springs cause any problems? The car rides solid and doesn't seem too low, it's just lower than it used to be. And where can we get new OEM springs for future reference?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked it back up on eBay. On the compatibility list it shows it is compatible with a 2004 325xi, however all the other compatible vehicles are coupes. I'm thinking we got coupe springs. Could this lead to any larger problems? My dad does not want to change them because we have a whole bunch of other things to work on on the car.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would have thought that specification where they clearly call out a 2004 XI would have been fine for the install. However, I also believe the XI has a different rating/part number. Seemed strange the rear wheel drive flavors were listed. Who knows where the "Grey" market gets these things? I read where a series of expensive, Bosch electronic modules (for a Mercedes) were found defective at distributor level. These were replaced by Bosch. The distributor removed the Mercedes tags and sold 100's to an Ebay seller. Guys ordering these for half the cost were delighted to learn they purchased paper-weights. Ebay sellers get their price points with rejects, seconds, FUBAR's, you name it. But every now and then you certainly can get a great deal so not to say its all bad, just something to be cautious with.

The spring auction indicates "Lesjofors" as the supplier. They are a large Swedish spring maker based in several countries. Check the part number you received with their website data. Maybe these were intended to be lowering springs? Maybe they were packaged or labeled wrong? Too many variables maybe not worth solving just order replacements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got mine from the dealer for my 2002 325xi. I think they were like $80 each. Only had to do the rears.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mine from the dealer for my 2002 325xi. I think they were like $80 each. Only had to do the rears.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Dealers still sell for older BMW models? Me and my dad never tried buying from a dealer.

Btw, my dad is reporting them to paypal and eBay and hopefully we will get our money back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problem getting them from the dealer - they had them on the shelf. It's a pretty common problem on the e46 here in the northeast. They OEM springs come painted, but I put a coat of rust inhibitor paint on them and try to spray them with a coat of WD40 before the winter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem getting them from the dealer - they had them on the shelf. It's a pretty common problem on the e46 here in the northeast. They OEM springs come painted, but I put a coat of rust inhibitor paint on them and try to spray them with a coat of WD40 before the winter.
If I could get them for $80 each that'd be great. The ones from eBay were $110 each.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I got mine from bmwmercedes.com for about 105 a piece. Mine came with 2 brown strips painted.
I justed ordered the sachs shocks for 71 each and hope fully going in next weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dealers still sell for older BMW models? Me and my dad never tried buying from a dealer.
yup, they're not like American car companies, you can still get parts for BMWs from the 80's or even earlier from the dealers as long as they're not discontinued

·
Registered
935 Posts
they are still like $145 each at the dealer. btw mercedes still supplies parts for every car they made. even from early 1900s

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody know the part number for the rear springs? And is there a difference between a 2003 and a 2004 spring?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts