E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed a H&R sport cup kit suspension on my 2005 325ci with stock sport suspension. It has only been about 10 hours, but the car is sitting only half an inch lower than stock, and it should be 1.5/1.2 inches lower. Does anyone know how long it might take for the new shocks/springs to settle in? Also, the part number needed for my car is 31019-3 (for coupe/sedan with sport suspension). However, I have realized AFTER installing the complete suspension kit that modbargains sent me the wrong parts... :censor: They sent me 31019-1 which is for a sedan without sport suspension... this is supposed to lower the car 2.1/1.7 inches from factory non-sport suspension. My question is, is there a real difference between the kits meant for sport vs non-sport suspension? I will call H&R on monday, but I wanted to try for an opinion here first. I'm really hoping I don't have to do this whole project again.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
They aren't that aggressive of a drop but should be more than your experiencing. I would also confirm that they didn't send you touring springs instead of race springs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They aren't that aggressive of a drop but should be more than your experiencing. I would also confirm that they didn't send you touring springs instead of race springs.
I believe the touring cup kit comes with red springs? It also has a T at the end of the model number which my springs do not have on them.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
The touring cup kit uses sport springs, (they are red, I have no idea what color race springs are) the sport cup kit uses race springs. Weird, I know... Have you double checked that everything is seated properly? When I installed the touring cup kit on my sport package sedan the drop was pretty close to the advertised amount right away, it didn't settle a whole lot.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Color does not always indicate spring type with the cup kit. They have been known the switch it up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is slowly settling down, but still not really near the advertised drop. We'll see how it goes in the next few days. I'll also call H&R to see if having the non-sport package cup kit on my sport-package car makes a difference. Any input on this?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
^someone mentioned that race springs were red. Like I said, color doesn't mean anything with h&r. My race springs were black.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Dont quote me on this. But wether you have sport suspension or touring... When buying a kit from retailer such as this, i think the goal for end result will be same.. Therefore the final drop will end up same hight. It shouldnt matter what suspension was from factory.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dont quote me on this. But wether you have sport suspension or touring... When buying a kit from retailer such as this, i think the goal for end result will be same.. Therefore the final drop will end up same hight. It shouldnt matter what suspension was from factory.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
Correct. The different kits include different shocks/struts. Such as ones for tourings are stiffer in the back

·
Registered
190 Posts
H&r has different part numbers for cars with and without sport suspension. The springs change with each kit but depending on your shocks/struts that will determine the drop you will get. Message me I should be able to get you any info you need on the setup you have now and the drop you can expect. The ride won't settle much if you have really driven it. It will take a good amount of mileage to settle completely.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I don't think that's 100% correct. Take a car with non sport suspension, put on race springs and it will give it a more drastic drop than a sport package car with race springs would get since its already lower. Measure the final drop after its all settled and both cars will have the same ride height. Part #'s don't necessarily mean different parts. Take my track quad for example. Honda 400ex. In 2004/05 they changed the body along with the rear end. All the part #'s changed and the prices went up 30%, did the parts change? Nope.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I verified that my part #'s are correct for the sport cup kit. The car is still sitting about 3/4 of an inch front and rear above the advertised drop. I've been told by both h&r and a owner of this setup that they will settle within 1k miles due to the new shocks. Has anyone had an experience like this where a new suspension setup takes a while to settle? Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts