E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
what kinda info? the car is at a tow yard....... I wen't today to pay $329 to get it out, I get in it and it doesn't start. I had the tow guy pull it outside the gate and its sitting their until I get the $$ to tow it home or figure out how I can get it to fire up. I'll be going back tmw to check the Battery Cable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So your ALL saying its the battery cable thing...... Would my lights still come on, radio etc. Windows and keylesss all work? Because all of that does....

·
Registered
441 Posts
BST cable-- just like what everyone else said. You can always try to push the piece back in and see if your car will start. It's a little black box connected to your positive connector. Take the box off with a flathead if I remember correctly. If it is, get the cable replaced. Too bad.. I just sold one of these for $200 shipped..

Some people have contacted me about this BST. Im including some pictures (only the last one is mine)
part 13

This pic is of my connector in my car. This isnt the one im selling but it looks exactly like this. Just to clarify, it isnt just the terminal. It comes with a long cord and the positive connector. Minus the blue wire which is for my subs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
So your ALL saying its the battery cable thing...... Would my lights still come on, radio etc. Windows and keylesss all work? Because all of that does....
Yup everything still comes on. Your still getting power to your car.. The BST explodes when an airbag goes off to prevent a fire in the car. I'm guessing your hazards came on too? Can't remember on the OP and I'm on my iPhone so I don't want to check lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, BST cuts power only to generator and starter. Other equipment has still power. And yor seatbelt tensioner is problally exploded too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
OP- I would go through your insurance to get this fixed properly. From the sounds of it.. Parts alone is going to cost several hundred if not $1000. Then I don't know if you have the experience to take apart your car and install everything.. But it's a *****.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I just got the car, had it for 3 days - Didn't get time to add Insurance to it considering the time of year.... Lesson learned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok now my question is... If it's the BST cable, will I be able to roll jump start my car by getting it pulled and popping into gear, so I can get it home.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't. Considering its a safety cable designed to cut the engine after a crash... Try the method I posted above. Got my car running. All u need to do is take the black box off and push the pin back in and make them connect.

Btw... Might want to take it slower next time your in a new to you car on a wet highway.. Not trying to bash you.. Just saying, I've been there too

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
So your ALL saying its the battery cable thing...... Would my lights still come on, radio etc. Windows and keylesss all work? Because all of that does....[/QUO

When the BST blows, its designed to kill the engine but keeps power to the rest of the car. This way your windows, interior lights and such stay on. This cable runs from the battery to the front of the car in one piece. You can get a splice kit from the dealer to fix it. If you just push the 2 ends of the BST, you don't get a good enough contact. This causes the battery to die. You must replace it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You may be able to force jam it together, but it takes a bit of effort. BTW if it is blown it should set off the airbag light so even if you fix the airbag and not the cable you still have the light. You should replace it ASAP to have the protection.

·
Registered
251 Posts
in a pinch you could try cutting your terminal off the existing battery cable and replacing it with one from Auto Zone or something, this in effect would bypass the BST. Of course, I'd never recommend this to anyone in real life, but hey, You're a risk taker and I like your style.......Good luck.
Green

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,859 Posts
in a pinch you could try cutting your terminal off the existing battery cable and replacing it with one from Auto Zone or something, this in effect would bypass the BST. Of course, I'd never recommend this to anyone in real life, but hey, You're a risk taker and I like your style.......Good luck.
Green
I read somewhere, that actually worked for someone.. I might do that. Thanks:4ngie:
How about you don't do that and just say you did?

The Battery Safety terminal is there so that if you get in an accident and say your fuel tank is ruptured, at the same time some wires got ripped apart, the BST cuts off power so there are no sparks and you don't die a fiery, horrible, longlasting, painful death like the Apollo 1 astronauts (RIP).

I can see it working and if you were in the Outback, surrounded by angry Roos (where's GN, btw, guys?), you'd have a reason to do this. In the civilized world, there's really no excuse for it.

I know what it's like to be engulfed in burning gasoline. It's actually much more pleasant than you might think...I ended up just shaving my legs, though...lasted a good 2 years! I highly do not recommend this!

Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts