E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I was leaving my local mall yesterday when, of course, the idiot taxi-cab driver comes and slams into the back of my 325ci. The damage is honestly not as bad as it could be (it's still driveable) but in addition to the bumper damage, my airbag light periodically comes on when I drive (says something about a seat sensor short to ground, which previously wasn't on) and neither my hazard light button or door lock button work now (they did 5 minutes before the accident...)

My question is..... When I take this in and tell them about, obviously the exterior damage, if I should mention something about these other things, or will it do me any good at all....? I'm not at fault here but don't want to come out of my pocket for another *******'s mistake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just called his insurance company to find out.....
You guessed it, he was uninsured!
I have no idea what to do at this point...
:bawling:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It seems like the cab company would be liable......unless that is he was working independently.

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
Just called his insurance company to find out.....
You guessed it, he was uninsured!
I have no idea what to do at this point...
:bawling:
i'm always so scared of that.

·
Registered
970 Posts
did you make a police report? if you did he is responsible to cover all expenses. how do i know this? i took a insurance broker course and if a person is driving an uninsured car and has an accident he has to pay....
yea did you file a report? so many people on this forum seem to not to file reports and then get completely screwed. If you did, then contact the police and tell them he was not insured. He will be required to pay out of pocket, as well as get in trouble for not being insured to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.
if you did not file a report, it would be very hard to get any money (even for the bumper alone) out of the driver who hit you...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't get. Over here, we have "underinsured motorist protection". If the person has no insurance or their insurance doesn't' cover the amount of damage, YOUR insurance company still pays you out and then goes after the person at fault. Is it no the same in the US?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't get. Over here, we have "underinsured motorist protection". If the person has no insurance or their insurance doesn't' cover the amount of damage, YOUR insurance company still pays you out and then goes after the person at fault. Is it no the same in the US?
i believe it is. as long as he filed a report with the police he will be fine

·
Registered
496 Posts
shitty situation. good luck man!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
That really sucks :cry:

Sorry to hear. Hopefully you filed a police report. That will help.

Chances are you will have to file a law suit. You should file against one case against the driver and another case against the cab company. You will probably have to take them to small claims court. It all depends on the small claims court laws in your state.

Good luck.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
wow that sucks man, hope everything works out for you :hi:

did you get any of his other information? drivers license number? stuff like that?

anyways good luck bro

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, so an update...
taking the car into this euro body shop near me monday.
My insurance company is covering the repairs under my uninsured motorist coverage.
bad thing is, $250 deductable....
Could be worse

The taxi company is being sued by my insurance company and has had their tags and business license removed by the local police.
Shitty thing to happen before Christmas but when you run a business, especially a taxi business, insurance is one of, if not the most important thing to have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts