E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was driving today and everything was running just fine, but the SES light came on. When I got home, I used the Peak Code Reader and pulled this long list of codes. Before I start throwing parts at it, I thought I'd see if anyone else had something similar and what your solution was. Here are the codes:

E4 - o2 Sensor Adaptation Limit Cyl#4-6
E3 - o2 Sensor Adaptation Limit Cyl#1-3
83 - Timeout, CAN Instr2
84 - Timeout, CAN Instr3
F1 - Misfire Cyl#4
CA - o2 Sensor Control Limit, Cyl#1-3
C6 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency, Cyl#1-3

I was thinking of starting with o2 sensors, but thought I'd check first.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Hey Toby.

I think it's surprising that 3-4 02 sensors and the cat would all throw codes at the same time.

That CAN code indicates, based on a little googling, that the controller area network is slow...the network between all our computers.

What that means, I'm not sure, but since the odds of 02 sensors all failing at the same time, I'm thinking it's probably not them.

Have you done anything weird/different with your car recently? Drive through a big rain storm, jump a ramp, use new gas station?

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doug...

Haven't done anything new to the car lately. I drove to Bimmerfest and back last week and then not again until yesterday and today. Car has driven fine and even after the ses came on today, it still drives like normal.

I haven't driven this car through rain in years, haven't jumped a ramp in a few months, and I got gas after bimmerfest but at my local 76 that I've always used.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
So I know the 02 sensors feed off of a fuse in the fuse pack...a fuse next to the Kalim Fuse. Check those. Also you might check the connectors that come up into the e-box. Look around for wires that maybe seem very close to things they shouldn't be near

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks D. Fuses all look good and wiring looks normal. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. Might clear the codes and see what comes back up. Maybe the list will be shorter if I check the ses light right when it comes on and I can narrow down the issue.

·
Registered
424 Posts
First, and not to sound like a jerk, I would make sure you are reading and interpreting the code book correctly. Then, like you said, I would reset and wait for the codes to come back. I've had a few issues with using the Peake code reader and handbook. And if I didn't reset and reread, I would have been totally off on my repairs.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Be careful as you are reading with a Peake reader and I expect you can easily misread bx as 6x!!

I would say you likely have vacuum a leak or vacuum leaks and possibly an exhaust leak that may be causing the Cat Inefficiency code? Could be cracks around rear O2 sensor bung? I would leave this until dead last.

Also what car are you having issues with?

Suggest you check the first link below in my signature for more ides.

Lower CCV oil return line that connects to the dipstick tube is a very likely suspect.

I would not replace the O2 sensors at this point for your problem as I am doubtful they are your problem, do not get misguided due to the fact your codes mention O2 sensor in them. Trouble codes are nothing more than clues, not absolute failures.

Also if you need O2 sensors, check Amazon.com, you will be surprised how good a price Amazon has for Bosch sensors!

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Yes a spark plug misfire can trigger a code, however, you realy need to look at the bigger picture with trouble codes, they are not always absolute, they are just clues.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Does that code reader give you freeze frame data?

Looks like a sliht misfire, i would start by looking at ur spark plugs.
Unfortunately this code reader doesn't give any other data other than the code.

I'll look into the spark plug, especially cyl#4.

First, and not to sound like a jerk, I would make sure you are reading and interpreting the code book correctly. Then, like you said, I would reset and wait for the codes to come back. I've had a few issues with using the Peake code reader and handbook. And if I didn't reset and reread, I would have been totally off on my repairs.
No worries at all man, thanks for the input. Yes, I triple checked the codes and then the code book and those are the codes it's kicking. After this reset, once the SES comes back, I'll re-check again. Thank you!

Be careful as you are reading with a Peake reader and I expect you can easily misread bx as 6x!!

I would say you likely have vacuum a leak or vacuum leaks and possibly an exhaust leak that may be causing the Cat Inefficiency code? Could be cracks around rear O2 sensor bung? I would leave this until dead last.

Also what car are you having issues with?

Suggest you check the first link below in my signature for more ides.

Lower CCV oil return line that connects to the dipstick tube is a very likely suspect.

I would not replace the O2 sensors at this point for your problem as I am doubtful they are your problem, do not get misguided due to the fact your codes mention O2 sensor in them. Trouble codes are nothing more than clues, not absolute failures.

Also if you need O2 sensors, check Amazon.com, you will be surprised how good a price Amazon has for Bosch sensors!
Great, thanks for all the input and ideas! This is on my 2001 330ci, 5 speed.
I'll look into your suggestions as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
Hi Doug...

Haven't done anything new to the car lately. I drove to Bimmerfest and back last week and then not again until yesterday and today. Car has driven fine and even after the ses came on today, it still drives like normal.

I haven't driven this car through rain in years, haven't jumped a ramp in a few months, and I got gas after bimmerfest but at my local 76 that I've always used.

Thanks for the input.
Not buying it. :rofl:

·
Registered
55 Posts
When i had a vacuum leak i got codes for fuel control bank 1 and 2 so i dont think thats the case. Look at all your plugs so you can compare them, the misfire counter is not always very acurate. But it would make sense as it would throw ur o2s off nd affect cat efficiency.
have u had any work done recently?

·
Registered
12,187 Posts
Try an electrical system reset.
- disconnect both battery cables at the battery
- short the 2 connectors together for at least 10 minutes
- reconnect the battery cables

I've seen this work when the car was giving a bunch of codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.