BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some from rockauto.com, they dont come apart like the BMW ones but its the same 6pin and two peice removal.

Anyway, does anyone have a picture of the hood pins, the ones that are actually a part of the hood? I feel like mine are broken.

And, why does it seem like the 6 pin part of the grille i am trying to put in is wayyyy too small for the hood?

This cannot be that hard.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I got some from rockauto.com, they dont come apart like the BMW ones but its the same 6pin and two peice removal.

Anyway, does anyone have a picture of the hood pins, the ones that are actually a part of the hood? I feel like mine are broken.

And, why does it seem like the 6 pin part of the grille i am trying to put in is wayyyy too small for the hood?

This cannot be that hard.

Pics? You want to push the top side all the way in then push the bottom part in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the clips (6) mount like a hook and go around the tabs on the hood? Or do they like crunch in and just fit snug in front of the clip?

This is what I have, sorry about the droid pictures. As you can see, I am assuming the clips mount around the hood tappets. I am also trying to install it as two peices, one from the front and the grill section from the back. Should I be doing one peice from the front and jsut smash it in?

·
Registered
75 Posts
All I did was pull out the old one and kept the pieces together, lined them up and gave them a good flat hand smack and they were in no problems been in nice and tight over 6 months

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried putting them in as one unit from the front, half of the right side went in and the left side was protruding out. If i vulcan punch it, maybe but no way its fitting in normally.

·
Registered
825 Posts
mine was like this too. After months I got angry and decided to attack the problem. You have to take a flathead and on the one side that isnt going in right make sure all the little tabs are going into the hood. It can only be done with with a flathead because the tabs are small and are at awkward positions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
All I did was pull out the old one and kept the pieces together, lined them up and gave them a good flat hand smack and they were in no problems been in nice and tight over 6 months
I had to do the same thing. First I tried to be gentle and ease them in but after 20 minutes of that I said screw this and just gave them a punch and they popped in perfectly.

·
Registered
18,540 Posts
my issue when i did my grills what that i tried installing them before i took my oem ones out

i got no where for like, 45 fvcking minutes :banghead:

·
Registered
52 Posts
There seems to be a lot of problems with these. The set I bought didn't have a notch cut out on the driver's side kidney grille for the hood latch to move. So after I installed them I closed my hood and couldn't get it back open. I had to jimmy the latch with a flat head screwdriver until I put the notch in myself.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I had a similar problem when I received mine. I put the two pieces back together and put them straight in the opening, they did not need to be separated.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
There seems to be a lot of problems with these. The set I bought didn't have a notch cut out on the driver's side kidney grille for the hood latch to move. So after I installed them I closed my hood and couldn't get it back open. I had to jimmy the latch with a flat head screwdriver until I put the notch in myself.
I thought I was the only one haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts