BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bilstein cost about $50 more. which would you get, I have apex springs, so which would you choose? I heard good stuff about both. also what is the difference in bilstein hd shocks & regular?

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
both are great

actually i'm getting some bilstein's and my bro is getting some koni's for his honda this spring

·
Registered
135 Posts
Both are widely used, tested, and supported. You can't really go wrong with either assuming proper fitment etc.

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
4,106 Posts
Koni for sure, i won Bilsteins at Bav auto Show and Shine and sold em the next day.

·
Registered
190 Posts
u can do a search...last time i asked this question i gotta beat down with :search: all over da place.

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
4,106 Posts
iluhdis said:
u can do a search...last time i asked this question i gotta beat down with :search: all over da place.
Lol i like that.... good man :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Ah... Let me share the results of my research.

I had experience with Bilstein's before and was very happy with them. Apparently many others shared my experience. On the other hand, I also hear many good things about Koni. Trying to figure out which one was better just gave me unnecessary headache. I did extensive research and found that neither is better than the other. They're just different.

- Koni Sport is rebound adjustable. Bilstein isn't. That's not a huge issue if you don't need adjustability. You can argue that adjustability can actually work against you if you don't know what you're doing.

- Bilstein seems to last longer than Koni's in term of maintaining the damping characteristics, but you can use the adjustability on the Koni to compensate for that. They are both significantly more durable than the stock units so this isn't something I'd worry about too much.

- Now the most important difference, Koni Sport will work better with softer spring rates while Bilstein's work better with higher spring rates. To over-generalize, Bilstein's will handle better out of the box (in track conditions). Koni Sports can be stiffen up to match the Bilstein's or even out-perform it by a tiny margin (as tested by Car & Driver), but at those settings it's not any more comfortable than the Bilstein's.

Ok, now you just have to find out whether your springs have relatively low or high spring rates and whether you care about comfort more or at the limit handling.

p.s. auto-x folks (myself included) will tell you to get Koni's. Reason being, auto-crossing is very different from tracking. A stiffer suspension works better on the track while auto-x favors a more compliant setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts