BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Jet Black. I have heard of people with Alpine White use white out (stuff used on papers) to cover the reflectors. What if i used a sharpy marker or a Stanford marker. The really concentrated high power markers.

Would it look ok?
Has anyone ever tried this?

Please let me know what you think. :)

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JC7727 said:
and you drive a bmw, and want to put a sharpy marker on it. :lmao: :rolleyes:
Well I don't have money to throw around like you. I am in high school and pay for half my car. My mom gets the other half. On top of that I pay for my insurance and all of my car services at the dealership.

I just am looking for a quick, easy, and inexpensive way to give the car a better look. I already debadged it and it makes a world of difference. I have a pic. I just don't like the yellow reflectors that contrast with the OEM clears. It would look cleaner either white to match the blinkers or red to match the rear. I don't know why they used yellow on the sport package. :dunno:

Please let me know what you think. :)

PS. Sorry for the bad picture quality, I was using my camera phone.

Attachments

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
02BMW330ci said:
i painted mine $4
Please tell me how you did this. I really like that look.

My only quandry is that I don't want the reflectors to come out dull (flat). I want them to have the same amount of shine as the paint. What products did you use.

Also, does it need to be applied continuously cause it will strip off or did you use something more permenant. Thanks

4 dollars seems very reasonable. Thanks :bow:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
well 4 $ cause i had most the stuff, but

Old News Papers, Wrap the bumper everything except the reflector its easy

go buy Rustoleum Plastic Primer, Prime it 2 times let sit for 20 min, Flat black it 2 times let sit for 20 min then get Clear Enamle do it 3 times let it sit for 1 hour

Let 1 coat of everything sit for a Bit before Reaplying. Its common sence and easy as hell.. have fun

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
02BMW330ci said:
well 4 $ cause i had most the stuff, but

Old News Papers, Wrap the bumper everything except the reflector its easy

go buy Rustoleum Plastic Primer, Prime it 2 times let sit for 20 min, Flat black it 2 times let sit for 20 min then get Clear Enamle do it 3 times let it sit for 1 hour

Let 1 coat of everything sit for a Bit before Reaplying. Its common sence and easy as hell.. have fun
Thanks alot for the quick response.

One question. How did you go about wrapping the bumper. I wouldn't want any primer dripping onto the paint. Tape im guessing?

I would probably use a rag to absord everything but let me know how you did it. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
If anything, have you considered, taking out the reflector before painting it?
I am not sure if putting it back in would be difficult without getting it scratched.
Also consider using few clear coats for the shine.
Havent tried it, but would consider as the only inexpensive solution.
I would hate to paint anything right on the car, you can never mask everything perfectly.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
proveg said:
If anything, have you considered, taking out the reflector before painting it?
I am not sure if putting it back in would be difficult without getting it scratched.
Also consider using few clear coats for the shine.
Havent tried it, but would consider as the only inexpensive solution.
I would hate to paint anything right on the car, you can never mask everything perfectly.
I was thinking the same thing. I have done alot of model building in the past. Everything from cars, to boats, planes, and buildings. I was gonna use some techniques from my past expierence on this.

Question for everyone: I haven't really looked around my body panelling but I know that there are some places on the body that are hard to access.

How hard is it to access the reflectors and remove them? Any tips?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I did some modeling also in the past....

Always do clear coat on top to make it shine. LEt it dry for a few days and buff it after. Find rubbing compund for the brand/type of spray paint you have then wax itfor protection before you install it back. That is if you go for the remove route..which is always better for painting than masking is.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys :thumbup:

I'll post some pics of this when I finish up. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts