BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my current suspension. what do you guys recommend the most for the money and is it worth buying a used kit?

·
Registered
322 Posts
just go for something new. there are simply too many variables to determine the exact condition of a suspension without testing. i personally have had used suspensions before, it's not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
howbout the st from kw, i live in miami so i shouldnt have ne trouble with salt or snow. Or is it going to ride really bad slammed? would the v2's ride much better slammed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I considered the same question over the weekend (new vs used) and opted for new. Granted you could get a "better" setup for the same money or save some cash. But there are questions of condition, how they were driven, will all the bits and pieces be included, etc.

It seems like it isn't worth the hassle and potential headaches, but that's just me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
other suspension components might be due for replacement. have you replaced your rtabs/fcabs? if not, check the condition of both components as they can wear quickly.

you might want to swap your rear shock mounts at that time as well, check to see if they're included with your suspension.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking the RE mounts and was thinking of doing the rtabs but i don t have the tool. and the fcabs with housing and everything is around 3-400 so im going to wait on those. which i also need that special tool. i might just order the tool and try n resell it later

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i might have orderd the wrong ones =/
it doesnt say if they are adjustable or not. KIT-8741-1438L/8741-1438R/8240-1203/8240-1203
those are the part numbers
some sites say adjustable, some dont...are these the adjustable koni i need?

·
Registered
322 Posts
when i was replacing some suspension components due to age/mileage, my fcabs visually looked OK -- but crumbled upon removal. from what i recall, the fcabs included housings and weren't very expensive.

Im thinking the RE mounts and was thinking of doing the rtabs but i don t have the tool. and the fcabs with housing and everything is around 3-400 so im going to wait on those. which i also need that special tool. i might just order the tool and try n resell it later

·
Registered
322 Posts
i replaced some of the bushings (rtabs/fcabs) with factory parts. some people used OEM RTABs with limiters, as a step below aftermarket bushings. at times, non-factory bushings can create noise, so factory bushings are probably the best route for a daily driven car.

which fcabs did you replace them with?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts