E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully dealt with BMW for prematurly wore out leather seats? I have 330 Cic with leather interior and sport seats. The side support is showing wear and I have not even got to first oil change yet! SF Bay area dealers are no help and it seems to be common problem with 3 series. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am having the same problem, and Im in the bay area too. My 2k1 330i has wear in the left side bolster area of the driver seat. Its driving me nuts cause the car is only 2 1/2 years old. I definately want to hear if anyone has any advice.

-Cyberhide

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
I'm not sure you will get anywhere by complaining to BMW. Worn leather has been a problem for BMW as long as I can remember. Look at any BMW over a year old (it must be leather, not leatherette) and the seats look like they've been used for years and years. Not just the 3 series either, every series has the same problem.

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
Well, my coupe has a little over 60,000 miles on it, and needless to say my seats are showing some wear. I spoke to Car Care Online yesterday for about 20 mins and he walked me through step by step how to restore them. For me, its a problem of having discoloration. They have a product called Surflex that can be custom matched to your interior. He likened it to staining wood...your best bet would be to call car care online and see what they have to say. We all know that the BMW leather isnt the best so we have to do everything we can to maintain it. I will post pics up when i am done, but it will be a few months...it takes about 6 weeks to get a custom matched can of Surflex

·
Registered
59 Posts
You people must just got Bms as the seats have been made from crab leather for years and E36 was the same. Can only stop wear if you look after it and dont rub your ass when you get in and out of car. Step into car rather than fall into it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1 or 2 beers = step in :)
2 - 4 beers = fall in :yikes:
more than 4 = window view with bars... :cry:

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 330Ci has this problem, after 25,000 miles the passenger seat is just destroyed. Don't think BMW will do anything though, this would be considered wear and tear. I went to an upolstry place and they just want to replace the whole bolster. I am trying to find a place that will cover that seam with a stronger material, like the seat belt material.

If anybody has a better idea, I'd love to know.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
I visited a leather shop and asked about restore/repair. He was honest enough to say ANYTHING I bought 'color' wise to try to re-dye or match WOULD rub off onto clothes of those who sat in the car and such.

Not sure this helps.

K

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
In speaking with Car Care Online, the guy told me that Surflex is the exact same thing used by the factory to color our seats.

Those cheap leather repair kits are a laquer and basically put a coat on top of the leather that can peel and crack away. Also these products prevent emollient oils from being released and absorbed by the leather.

Surflex on the other hand is able to penetrate the surface of the leather without sealing it. So, once you have applied Surflex to restore the color, you can also continue to condition the seats to replenish the emollient oils.

Like he said...its like staining wood. Once wood has been stained, the stain doesnt crack and peel like a paint would because it is absorbed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree that if you are sliding on the bolster, it will show some where after a while. But after 8000 miles is ridiculous and I been very conscious about how I get into the car. I never had such cheap leather. My Chevy work truck with mud and water abuse for 100k miles are in much better shape with some care. Does anyone know how to complain to BMW more formally?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a contact at the testing center in Oxnard. He isn't very high up the ladder but he might know who to talk to if we have enough people to make an organized showing. Perhaps someone here can talk to an E46 admin to start a community wide appeal. Having to replace my bolsers every 2 years doesn't sound like much fun to me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well, you should've conditioned the leather beforehand...Lexol leather conditioner...I use it monthly and hope to avoid any wear or cracking.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have around 17,000 miles on my M3 and it is starting to show wear on the driver's side bolster. I use a little black shoe dye to touch it up. Works well as long as you let it dry overnight. Only do so for black. The real kick in the ass is that when you go to return your leased car, BMW will charge you for the wear. I guess they make an extra $100 per car that way but it's BS. I just had an arguement with BMW NA over it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried leather cleaners and conditioners everytime the car is being washed.........even with that ridiculously priced BMW leather conditioner. No luck.
Trying to get BMW community pressure for BMW to address the issue would be great!!! Sign me up. Even a discounted car seat covers would be nice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Me too.

I have only 25000 miles on my car (10 months old). I condition the leather about every month with lexol cleaner and conditioner. I am as careful as humanly possible getting in and out of my car. My left driver's side bolster is CRACKING and FLAKING. Normal wear and tear is one thing, but this is just not right :ben:. I would be more than willing to add my name to a list of people trying to get this fixed. I got a loaner car a while back with leatherette. The car was beat to hell inside but the leatherett looked like new. Guess next time I'll save the $1000 and get the "better" leatherette and no one but me will know the difference.

-Cardinal

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got 30k on my car and its obvious worn at this point. I have taken excellent care of my leather, but this is impossible. You can definately add me to that list too. :ben:

-Cyberhide

·
Believe it!!!
804 Posts
I got a CPO... with 13k miles on the car...

front sides was wearing severly, major discoloration. and I brought it to the dealerships and they took care of it.

they didnt replace the seat/bolster but they did ask a leather professional to fix it. the guy basically redyed and made the seat smooth..

the service agent told me that the would only do this 1x. since i'm aware of how sensitive these seats are.

my front passenger side is still ok. so they only did the front side.

my dealership's in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks CA.

Talk to Mark Rusconi cause he did it for me. covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts