E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, looks like my membership got activitated. I've been reading up on posts here since I came upon this site yesterday while surfing, first off, there is a wealth of information here...compliments to all members ! I love the forum concept, members helping members

here's my intro:
so i've been looking for cars for my wife for the past 4 months. she's been driving her corolla for 6 years, nice little reliable car. anyways, so I decide it's time that she should get something a little more fun. you see, we've had toyota cars since we learned how to drive, and she wanted a german car this time, not an acura. We've been test driving audi a4, volvo s40, mini coopers, mb c230s, and the vw v6 passats.

audi a4 - we felt too small, and underpowered
volvo s40 - nice smooth, till we found it ford bought volvo
mb c230 - smooth, but i don't particulary like the body
mini cooper - her dream car
vw v6 passat - we both liked the ride and the modern look

i had to wrestle her to change her mind about the mini cooper, i repeatly told her underpowered and not practical but i agree it's "cute". we were a hair away from a used passat, but things came up and the plans got offtrack.

it was only recently that we decided to test drive the bmw to see what the "ultimate driving machine" felt like. she test drove the bmw 328ci and she loved the handling, to cut a long story short, since I was selfish and wouldn't let her get the cooper, she wanted the coupe, since it was sportier (no kids yet)....i ended up getting her an 01 330ci over the weekend, what a joy ride !

now onto my noob questions about the 330ci, after reading the manual last night, and buying the car in a hurry:
- how can I visually tell if it has the premium sound HK speakers?
- how can I visually tell if it has the sports package? I don't know what non sports seats look like
- the window drops when door is open and up when door is closed but it seems to drop only after the door is already halfway open?
- is the second cup holder supposed to be under the armrest? seems kind of pointless to use when the armrest is interfering
- was it supposed to come with the warning triangle in the trunk and a first aid kit under the passenger seat like in indicated in the manual?
- what is this common door seal problem I hear with coupes?

as you can see, i've never owned a bmw before.
thanks - smarty.

P.S. driving the car back from the seller I got stranded on a dark highway since I ran out of gas, seems like it indicator light comes on at the quarter hash mark and gas really empties at the final hash mark...i'm used to japanese cars where the light only comes on at the final hash mark and you've got a good 40 miles more - is this normal for this car?

·
'a certain moderator'
35,560 Posts
:hi: welcome :D

on the speaker on the door, if it has a silver part that says Harmon Kardon, u have the HK. u can also look in the trunk for two 6x9's in an inclosure attached to the top of the trunk.

as for sport, easiest way to tell is whether or not your seats have the adjustable thigh support. if it has this, then ur car has Sport Package, but on coupes, they all come with the round steering wheel and Sport suspension, so it isnt THAT great of a loss :D

enjoy the car! u wont go back to japanese after this :D

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
smarty said:

now onto my noob questions about the 330ci, after reading the manual last night, and buying the car in a hurry:
- how can I visually tell if it has the sports package? I don't know what non sports seats look like
- the window drops when door is open and up when door is closed but it seems to drop only after the door is already halfway open?
- is the second cup holder supposed to be under the armrest? seems kind of pointless to use when the armrest is interfering
- was it supposed to come with the warning triangle in the trunk and a first aid kit under the passenger seat like in indicated in the manual?

as you can see, i've never owned a bmw before.
thanks - smarty.

P.S. driving the car back from the seller I got stranded on a dark highway since I ran out of gas, seems like it indicator light comes on at the quarter hash mark and gas really empties at the final hash mark...i'm used to japanese cars where the light only comes on at the final hash mark and you've got a good 40 miles more - is this normal for this car?
the window drops down like that to avoid hitting the trim when opening and closing. There is no window frame on the doors.

a: look under your sunglass holder below the ac control, there should be a button with DSC, if you have HK it should have a button next to it, I think with a symbol of a speaker. I havent' touched mine since I purchased it. I think it also say HK on the speakers in the door.

b:

c:The second cup holder does belong under the arm rest, I think it lame too. gotta pull the arm rest up with 2 drinks.

d:No triangle or first aid you can buy them and add it to the car

e: the black door seal around the door heats up on hot days and comes apart. hasn't happened to my 01 330ci yet.

I have been able to drive about 20-30 miles after the light came on. As long as I don't rev too much. Use your OBC it give u an estimate of how many miles you have left.

By the way where in California do you live? check out the events forum. Attend a few meets, lots of info to be found there. Plus they will feed the mod bug that will prob bite sooner or later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
1)for the speakers.....do you have a button next to the DSC that has a speaker symbol on it? if so....u got the HK, also the rear speakers have an aluminum finish saying Harmon Kardon

2) the 2nd cup holder thing is a scam.....yeah, its pretty much pointless when the center armrest is down!

3)no, you don't get a warning triangle and first aid kit, you have to order them....that took me a while to figure out too after i got my car!

Thats all I can answer for now...and welcome to the world of BMW's!

·
Registered
347 Posts
1. The rear "subs" will actually say Harmon Kardon on them.
2. The non-sports seats are "flat" while the sports seats have side bolsters.
3. Don't understand the question
4. Ya, thats a bit lame, but not all cars come with the arm rest, and you can always lift it if you want.
5. those items are euro spec
6. The window seals sometimes drop and hang, the dealer will fix it for you, but dont worry about it if its not happening now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
smarty said:
1. There a few ways to check for HK. First there is a strip of buttons right below the sunglasses compartment in the center console. One button that will be there is labeled DSC. If you have HK, there will be a button with a picture that sort of looks like a speaker. Pressing it activates the HK "effect", whatever that means. Or you can look at the speaker grills on the drivers and passenger side doors next to the door handle. HK has a silver strip on the grill that says HK on it. There will also be another set of speakers on the door pillars that non-HK doesn't get.

2. Not quote sure what the SP includes on the '01 models, but here's a shot. The easiest way to tell is the seats like you mentioned. There is an adjustable bolster right underneath your legs at the edge of the seat. Non SP seats do not have this. Also the side bolsters on the SP seats are much larger and hug the body more, but this is probably meaningless unless you have pics to compare both seats to. I think the SP has M68 wheels, not sure if what the non-SP got.

3. All E46 (and I think E36) coupe windows do this. The delay between when you open the door (and the window is fully closed) and the window goes down slightly is really short. If your delay doesn't seem really short, you might want to have the dealer take a look at it (as long as there's warrenty left).

4. That is normal for the second cup holder, but like you said, not very practical.

5. No warning triangle or first aid kit in US Spec E46's. Only European E46's get these items. You also get them if you do European delivery on your new E46 (or maybe you just buy them there?).

6. The door seal problem seems to happen at different mileage depending on the environment the car is in. It seems to happen sooner in hot humid places. My car was in NY for a few years, and in Northern Virginia that last year. My seals started to sag at 49,500 miles so I was able to get them fixed before my warrenty was out. BMW should really issue a recall on them since it is such a common problem. Anyway, the issue is the black rubber/interior colored felt trim surrounding the door does not have a very good adhesive on it, and after a while it starts to come appart and droop. Some people on here have had success using epoxies and such.

Congrats on the new car! Got any pics?

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,594 Posts
smarty said:

First off, welcome. Now, onto the questions.

So, until you've got the door to the point where you can get in, it won't roll down the 1/2 inch? It seems like it'd be difficult to open the door to begin with, seeing how you should rip the top window guard (on the body) if it didn't lower right after pulling the door handle. Keep in mind that it'll only drop if the window's all the way up to begin with.

Yes, this is normal -- the fuel gauge is very accurate. When the little light comes on, at about 1/8 of a tank, you're really at 1/8 of a tank.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks guys, sorry for being a bit paranoid.....we didn't really get to test drive a 330ci before I made this purchase so interior wise I didn't know what to look for.

(1) good, it's got the little speaker button next to DSC and the chrome grill that says HK next to the door handle, so I feel better now...but I don't recall speakers on the door pillars? unless what I think are pillars are different.

(2) good, side bolsters and adjust underneath, whew !

(3) I should have explained better, basically, i think the delay should be shorter

(4) ok, understood now, normal cupholder - just impractical

(5) ok, i'm all for gadgets, so maybe i'll get warning triangle and first aid kit, but not priority

(6) ok, no door seal problem yet *knock on myrtle wood*

(p.s) 20-30 miles after light comes on is kinda low, my toyotas do at least 40 miles, and i've never run out of gas ever, i'd better be careful next time

tquach - sorry, I live in North Carolina, not CA, but I love CA !! uncle's lived in oakland for ever and i visit often....

i'll promise to get some pictures up soon, i just got it yesterday so still cleaning it

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as any mods, these are listed in priority:
- tint
- clear lights
- all weather mats
- alarm (maybe not, I hear BMW has built in chip)
- universal transmitter (maybe not, but nice for garage)
- mp3 changer (I love mp3s, but wife's satisifed with current single CD)

besides that, nothing else major.....BMW E46s are already beautiful the way they are !! feast for the eyes.

pictures soon......hopefully tonight.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,389 Posts
smarty said:

(p.s) 20-30 miles after light comes on is kinda low, my toyotas do at least 40 miles, and i've never run out of gas ever, i'd better be careful next time

Ur toyotas also can't go 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and can't go around long sweeping curves at 90MPH now can they? Unless by toyota ur talkin about a supra...

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
smarty said:
as far as any mods, these are listed in priority:
- tint
- clear lights
- all weather mats
- alarm (maybe not, I hear BMW has built in chip)
- universal transmitter (maybe not, but nice for garage)
- mp3 changer (I love mp3s, but wife's satisifed with current single CD)

besides that, nothing else major.....BMW E46s are already beautiful the way they are !! feast for the eyes.

pictures soon......hopefully tonight.

Thats what I said when I picked up my 330.

Tints
Clears
and OEM alarm. Nothing else.

Now I got

Tints, clears, ecis intake, M3 steering wheel, shift knob, lip spoiler, X-drilled brembo rotors all around, axxis ultimates, Gen5 DDE.

The m3 steering wheel is a great mod, it changes the driving experience.

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,341 Posts
h0la amig0. Too run outta gas is truly a no0bish thing too do.

·
Banned
595 Posts
:hi:

happy modding in the future.

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
the only thing i can add to this is the reason why the cupholders are placed awkwardly. Since german cars are some of the best built and best handling cars in the world, they are designed specifically for driving, and driving alone. the germans believe that driving is something that requires all of your attention at all times, which makes sense because driving at 180 on the autobahn while eating and talking on a cell phone = disaster. they firmly belive that eating and driving at the same time is a sin, but of course being an american, i like to do as many things as possible while driving. when the german cars started coming over to america, we were suprised at the lack of cupholders and other useless things. of course the car was already so well designed that it had no place for cupholders, and therein lies the answer............place them under the armrest.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics uploaded, as promised

as promised, here are a couple of pictures I took tonight...lightning is not all that good, but thanks for all your help thus far....the site link is free, so it may be unstable at times...

Front

Rear

1 - 20 of 28 Posts