E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Car: Manual 2001 330ci

So I was driving home tonight, stopped at a stop sign, and all of the sudden the car wouldn't go into gear. I could flop the shifter all around and none of the gears would grab. I called up my dad for some quick advice and he thinks it might be a broken linkage. I'm taking it down to have a mechanic look at it tomorrow, so hopefully I'll know by then, but if you all want to chime in before then with some thoughts, that would be great. :huh:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Glad to hear it was relatively quick resolution.
But I'm working if the clutch can be ruled out by trying to stick it into any gear with the car off. (Isnt that one way to get home when your clutch is shot?)

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,601 Posts
yes, if it goes in while the car is off and doesnt when the car is on, its the clutch or pressure plate or something broken inside the box.

have had this happen a few times in my life..when the clutch goes out

last time

a hub spring popped out and mated with the flywheel.(like you said, stick it in first when the engine is off, start and GO!!!except changing gear was tough but possible once revved up slam gear into 2nd while tipping off the gas)

another time when the stock clutch wore out the same thing happened.

but also like the OP, I also had the shifter linkage bolt(or whateve it was) fail on me and had a generic bolt attached the linkage back...

and j ust because the thread is called wont go into gear.. I found that revving the engine (clutch in or out) and retrying to stick into first works really well in the cold when first becomes hard to slot in.\ just fyi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.