E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am pretty handy - but this time I think I bit off more than I can chew.
I had purchased a stock HK sub unit with matching amp, also bought pig tailed plug for it from bone yard. My problem is hooking it up. Does any body have a clue where it can get hooked up to system? I have a stock buiness cd radio system. I don't want to go nuts just a little more bass. People have told me not to even bother. Any suggestions?
I would need amp wiring guide - anybody have one?
Thanks so much,
Stock Bob
2002 BMW 325CI sports coupe Hard top..

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Herbalicious, Thanks for Reply, No my car had only come with the stock business CD system. At present 70K miles I only changed tires 3 times as well oil changes when computer had said so, I have no Nav, Not much extra. Car ordered new by me ***8211; due to me not wanting a sun-roof ***8211; I told them I wanted a moon roof, They had said they do not have moon roofs anymore ***8211; so I settled for a hard top which was only manufactured in Germany.
325Ci tip tronic trans, sports Pkg, including heated seats, I figured if I did not do the sports Pkg then I would of done some upgrade myself anyway. And the stock stereo system at the time sounded good and which still works - but just looking for a little more Bass, I think the door speakers are tight - Id rather go to trunk. One of my friends had said the cables are all there tucked away ***8211; I would have to locate them. But honestly I have rewired systems before. I just don***8217;t know if this amp uses low inputs or speaker levels. I had read that it needs speed level input as well remote on from stereo which I could get from main amp, a 30 amp fuse to batt and a ground of course. Is there any pin out of main amp connector in trunk? The double header connector in black case, containing a black and tan connectors? I had seen other people putting bigger subs in trunks. I just want to install a stock sub, so it looks like it should be there.
That is my question ***8211; or is there a secret place they tuck the cables when not in use ***8211; please remember I had bought the plug in harness for the sub. So there is my issue in a nut shell ***8211; do I or don***8217;t I ***8211; I can always always re-sell what I bought. I just don***8217;t want to hurt the stereo on board.
Thanks,
Stock Bob

· Registered
2 Posts
If you have the hk Sub along with AMP and harness you can connect the red wire to a power supply (battery if preferred) the brown to a negative the white to a signal wire which can me fount on your stock amp on the left compartment of your trunk and there will also be 2 wires twisted together thats a positive and negative for the subs. you can just cut a little slice in the corresponding colors running to your stock amp and it will work!! p.s. there is an extra wire but i dunno what its for. works fine without it!

· Registered
3,000 Posts
OP, I have HK in the same car. Don't want to sound like an ass but It is not much of an upgrade if you are looking for more bass.
Unless you have started the install I would sell the HK amp and subs and add just a 10" aftermarket sub woofer/amp for more bass. Or upgrade the speakers inside the cabin.

I am about to install a 10"sub in my HK equipped car. I am not into thumping bass or loud music. I listen to classic rock and I like to hear tight bass riffs, deep purple, the doors, led zeppelin anyone? HK subs will not produce crisp bass sounds, and if you are into hip hop or party music bass you will be very disappointed.
Also our trunks are pretty sealed don't expect much sound coming into the cabin.

Look out for the rattles too, search tennis ball mod.

If you are really going to do HK, there is a thread with wiring diagrams. I will post the link if I can find it later in my computer, right now I am on my phone.

· Banned
9,551 Posts
Honestly, its not worth the bother.

If you use a proper aftermarket deck and run your interior speakers off it's built in pre-amp, the non hk speakers will come to life. My Kenwood made the stock cardboard speakers sound phenomenal, especially since the crossover is set to route all bass to the subwoofers instead. When you use your original speakers as mids & tweaters (instead of full range), they gain a tremendous amount of sound capability.

With that type of setup, all you would need in addition is an amp and single sub. These can be purchased second hand for under $200.

· Registered
4,578 Posts
Honestly, its not worth the bother.

If you use a proper aftermarket deck and run your interior speakers off it's built in pre-amp, the non hk speakers will come to life. My Kenwood made the stock cardboard speakers sound phenomenal, especially since the crossover is set to route all bass to the subwoofers instead. When you use your original speakers as mids & tweaters (instead of full range), they gain a tremendous amount of sound capability.

With that type of setup, all you would need in addition is an amp and single sub. These can be purchased second hand for under $200.
Thanks for the info. So the problem with the poor sound quality is mostly the OEM head unit. I'll be looking out of a Kenwood that you have.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Everybody,
I want to thank you for all the input. I had time time to burn today and looked through alot of pages the first I found to answer my question was this, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=733381&highlight=sven
the second after many pages was this one from another site this is the correct ones for my car exceot it is a 4 dr - mine 2 dr. But the amp pin outs are listed here as well the sub pin outs as well hook up points. I am very appreciative of the WWW. http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/car-audio-electronics/95-e46-audio-information-god-send.html
I want to thank all for all the help. I will post my results Stock Bob...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.