BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the autodiming mirror I had in my 323i (I didn't get PPkg on my present 330xi -- long story), so bought a Gentex aftermarket mirror (Gentex supplies BMW autodimming mirrors).

So from the V1 install described here (http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm), it appears I can get switched +12V from the three-wire harness available near the sunroof swtich (blue/green wire) no problem. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this white connector is for the universal remote module, which I don't have and don't plan to install.

However, there's also a 5-wire black connector available. Before I start piercing it's wires with the multimeter, does anyone know what this is for? Is it the hookup for the alarm?

Reason I ask is that when I removed my stock mirror, it has a wiring harness to it, but it only has two wires, which have to be for the clown's nose. However, wouldn't it make sense that BMW would run a harness near the mirror (if not to it), that would power the autodimming mirror if it was installed?

Reason I ask is that, while not a big deal, there is a connection on my new mirror that deactivates the mirror when the car is in reverse. So, if that 5-wire harness is for the stock autodimming mirror, one of those wires is switched with reverse, and I can just tap into it.

Yes, I can run the harness supplied with the mirror around the windshield down the fusebox, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts