BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to the bimmer world, and I see that the battery is in the trunk.

Can I run my amps power wire right to the positive battery terminal, or do I have to run it from that little positive terminal box under the hood?

running it right to that battery would be so nice and easy but the owners manual says you cant hook anything up to it.

please tell me i can.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
run it striaght to the batt w/ a fuse inbetween. Also hook the grnd up to the batt grnd! gotta love Bimmer trunk batts!!! So simple to hook up power and ground right there in the tunk! 6 feet of wire and DONE!

PS: Some people on the boards will suggest that you don't do this for some unknown, unproven reasons so just ignore them. But you aint hurrrd dat from me!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
yeah all 3 of my Bimmers had/have systems wired directly in the trunk for power and ground. Works out great. In my M3 I don't even have a fuse block yet and its been running 800 watts all day long w/ no problem!!!

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Even better part is that BMW uses pretty thick wire from the engine bay to the trunk. Good up to 200 amps of current.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
are you serious? heck that is fantastic!
Do yourself a favor: Hook the fused + line from the amp to the battery BUT hook the amp's negative lead to the audio ground located over the LR wheel. It's located forward and above the location of the OEM amp and the optional CD changer. Hooking the amp's ground lead directly to the battery is never recommended. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
544 Posts
there is a argument of wether or not its ok to ground the amp to the battery - terminal, many people do it and have no problems, some do it and get distortion, so I would reccommend grounding it to the stock grounding point where all the other components are grounded, just to be safe and thats where bmw grounds there stuff, if there was no need for it they would ground everything to the battery, but they didnt. as for the power I love how much easier it is to install amps in bmw's, there so clever puting the batt in the trunk.

·
Registered
203 Posts
make sure you have your positive connection into your amp secure...in my system over time the connection came loose and it fried the positive line...lucky for me the fuse stopped fire.

·
Banned
2,545 Posts
Yea that's one great thing about our cars. I just wish they mounted the speakers to the car door and not the door panel.

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
there is a argument of wether or not its ok to ground the amp to the battery - terminal, many people do it and have no problems, some do it and get distortion, so I would reccommend grounding it to the stock grounding point where all the other components are grounded, just to be safe and thats where bmw grounds there stuff, if there was no need for it they would ground everything to the battery, but they didnt. as for the power I love how much easier it is to install amps in bmw's, there so clever puting the batt in the trunk.
Depends on the car. The BMW battery ground point is a decent ground.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead. Does anyone have a picture of where the audio, stock amp ground is? I'm trying to install the BSW sub but I can't find where the ground is from their picture. A picture will be great, thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts