BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had to replace A splash guard and another piece around my right front wheel well. I had noticed there was a wire hanging down (towards the front bumper) which appeared to have a piece of what ever it should have been connected to, still attached. Does anyone know what that wire should be connected to. I looked and looked but couldn't find anything with a missing connection, but now I want it fixed.

I have had my Airbag light on for some time now (I just ignore it), not sure if there was a sensor in that area, also not sure if that light coming on coincided with damaging those two pieces of plastic. I have also had a non functioning Pusher fan about the same length of time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:hmm:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A while back I had to replace A splash guard and another piece around my right front wheel well. I had noticed there was a wire hanging down (towards the front bumper) which appeared to have a piece of what ever it should have been connected to, still attached. Does anyone know what that wire should be connected to. I looked and looked but couldn't find anything with a missing connection, but now I want it fixed.

I have had my Airbag light on for some time now (I just ignore it), not sure if there was a sensor in that area, also not sure if that light coming on coincided with damaging those two pieces of plastic. I have also had a non functioning Pusher fan about the same length of time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:hmm:

Sounds like a brake pad wear sensor. Mine popped out recently when doing some other DIY and I was unable to fit it back into the brake caliper, the flimsy worn clip just wouldn't hold it. I'm guessing you no longer have the clip anyway. Just make sure the clip isn't lodged in your caliper scraping away at the disk (rotor).

It won't hurt to cable-tie it up out of harm's way for now, just means that you won't get an indicator light when your brake pads are wearing down. Either get a new clip (probably only supplied with a new sensor ?) or keep a regular eye on the thickness of your brake pads (my preferred choice, I'm used to this concept anyway as most of my previous cars never had brake pad wear sensors).

I guess it could also be temp sensor in that area. Got a photo ?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Brake pad sensors are drivers side front and passenger side rear. Temp sensor for dash readout is drivers side front bumper/wheel well. If I remember right I believe HVAC temp sensor may be passenger side front bumper /wheel well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
haha .. I got the same wire hanging myself .. i think it's the temp thing .. my car tells me it's 37 degrees out sometimes.. :rofl:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. It is not the brake wear sensor or the external temp sensor wire, those are on the left side. The HVAC/ambient temp sensor sounds like my culprit. When I'm done with fixing my vacuum leak I will take a photo of it anyway. Thanks fanatics.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Guys...the ambient temp (outside air temperature) sensor is not on the passenger side, it is on the driver side. Trust me, I know because I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. There is another sensor on the passenger side, but only if you have certain options like the cold weather package...don't recall exactly what that one does, but not all cars will have it.

If your dash is displaying 114 or 37 or something whacky, then you have lost your OAT sensor, which is in the driver side fender liner, between the liner and the bumper. If you reach underneath the front of the bumper on the driver side, you can feel it under there.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The right side sensor is a round sensor (looks like a hockey puck) that is the thermal switch for the heated windshield washers. The sensor snaps into a round hole that is in the splash guard (it needs to be punched out on a replacement part).

As several people have correctly stated, the ambient temp sensor is on the driver's side and looks completely different.

Rich K.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The right side sensor is a round sensor (looks like a hockey puck) that is the thermal switch for the heated windshield washers. The sensor snaps into a round hole that is in the splash guard (it needs to be punched out on a replacement part).

As several people have correctly stated, the ambient temp sensor is on the driver's side and looks completely different.

Rich K.
Good to know. Thanks.

How do you know this? Do you have the sensor? What are 'heated windshield washers'? Does it heat the fluid in order to melt the ice on the windshield? Is the sensor only on the cold weather package?

That is all for now. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Rich K.
That's the type of direct answer I was seeking. I lost my splash guard in a terrible fight between my car and a good-sized boulder along with that thermal switch. When I replaced the splash guard I remembered seeing that wire hanging with a piece of the switch still clipped in and couldn't figure out what the hell it went to. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...thank you thank you thank you for the info...I drive a 2002 325ci and was looking for this info on-line. I had already noticed a round hockey-puck like sensor hanging around my right front (and broken) splash guard 3 weeks ago, checked it out when I was at the dealership for my Inspection I, and they wanted $220 for the splash guard so I was planning to order a new splash guard from bavarian auto and install it myself...but drove over a steep incline the other day, and noticed that round sensor has disappeared.

Would anyone happen to know if this a DIY-self job and happen to know the part # for that sensor? or if that sensor can be done without.

Thanks soo much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Need new ambient temp sensor

Would anyone happen to know if this a DIY-self job and happen to know the part # for that sensor? or if that sensor can be done without.

Thanks soo much.
need to get a new one anyone know where I can get one cheap?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts