E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've done a lot of searches, but haven't found someone with the same problem i'm having:

the wipers don't move at all when the stalk is moved up or down. but when i move it towards myself to trigger the washer fluid, the wipers initiate.

i've already tried putting a new relay in and it didn't help. all fuses appear to be fine as well. i didn't notice anything weird last week when it was raining. it just stopped working yesterday morning.

anyone have any ideas on what could be the root cause?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sounds definitely like it is originating from the switch. You can rule out any connection between the switch and the wipers as they work on that function, thus I would probably assume a faulty stalk (switch).

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
The switch itself actually controls the function of the wipers. You can install the switch with the "S" wiper function and that function will work without a hitch. If you get a new wiper switch, it should fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies.

i tried to do some intense wiggling to clean the contacts, but no luck. i guess i'm going to have to take the steering column apart and have a look at the stalk. hopefully it's repairable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm trying to remove my airbag but i can't seem to find the spring. i've been jamming this screw driver into the slots for an hour now and i don't feel a spring anywhere! i think i'm only hitting the actual airbag unit or surrounding metal. any tips on what angle the screw driver should be entering?

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
i've done a lot of searches, but haven't found someone with the same problem i'm having:

the wipers don't move at all when the stalk is moved up or down. but when i move it towards myself to trigger the washer fluid, the wipers initiate.

i've already tried putting a new relay in and it didn't help. all fuses appear to be fine as well. i didn't notice anything weird last week when it was raining. it just stopped working yesterday morning.

anyone have any ideas on what could be the root cause?
You don't need a relay, you do need the wiper switch.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
i'm trying to remove my airbag but i can't seem to find the spring. i've been jamming this screw driver into the slots for an hour now and i don't feel a spring anywhere! i think i'm only hitting the actual airbag unit or surrounding metal. any tips on what angle the screw driver should be entering?
Spring?

The airbag is held onto the steering wheel by two screws -- the book says they are T30s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spring?

The airbag is held onto the steering wheel by two screws -- the book says they are T30s.
i'm referring to these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSYCOo_revw

well, in an act of complete frustration, i wiggled the bejesus out of the switch and it looks like it cleaned the contacts! it works now. hopefully i don't ever have to remove that air bag :thumbdwn:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.