BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its rain season now, before hell freezes over. And all of sudden the passenger wiper started chattering. I baught the wiper inserts 6 months ago. Tried rain-x, cleaning them, ... to no avail ! Any clues ?

It only chatters (studders) going back and only when there is water/rain. When its clean, no water, it does not do it ...:banghead: add it to the list of e46 rattles... could it be the arm tension/motor or just need to change the stupid wiper insert ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i've changed them before, its a bit of pain, requires patience. but some other users said it doesnt help, so i dont feel dishing out out $25 to be stuck with the problem again. They clean good, the only issue is the annoying chatter ...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
try getting the glass really clean using steel wool (finest grade #0000) then re-applying the rain-x.

btw: I find it very easy to change the inserts. 4- 5mins each.

·
Registered
10 Posts
its probably the rain-x causing the chatter. try switching to aquapel, easier to apply, lasts longer, works better and no more chatter on my car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
its probably the rain-x causing the chatter. try switching to aquapel, easier to apply, lasts longer, works better and no more chatter on my car.
+1 to rainx causing the problem... though rain x is designed to repell water so when it there is little rain on the windshield thats what will happen...

clean your glass with glass cleaner... get rid of the rain x then give it some time for the rainx to wear off on your wiper blades then see how you go.... i dont use anything on my glass and never had any problems at all my blades are in a pretty bad state atm though all i still hear is how the rubber transitions from one direction to the other. and that is when i pay attention to it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think it's likely the rain X that's causing the skipping. I've had this happen before. It seems to build up in streaks on the glass after you've used the wipers extensively after applying the rain x. I've found if you use a mildly abrasive window cleaner (like the stuff you use to clean shower doors) you can get most of it off. Then use a detergent dish soap (Dawn works well) to clean it afterwards, rinse thoroughly (may as well wash the whole car, but don't use the dawn for that or you'll strip off the wax). Clean the wiper blades with a soft rag dampened with denatured alcohol and you should be OK without replacing the blades.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Definitely the rainx. I started using Rainx washer fluid which deposits rainx on the glass and for the first time in 5-1/2 years, my blades chatter. They still clear great but chatter like crazy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys think its worth buying the new wipers without the frame. forgot who makes them.. but it comes w/ the new e90s.
tire rack sells them, and has a special now, but 1 get 1 free ! They're called Valeo wipers. (22", 20"). Bosch also sells them under the name Icon. Since the're hingeless, they're very useful in the winter w ice. some fellow fanatics didnt like the look because they're a bit boxy. The E90 ones are completely flat so they look ok.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 to rainx causing the problem... though rain x is designed to repell water so when it there is little rain on the windshield thats what will happen...

clean your glass with glass cleaner... get rid of the rain x then give it some time for the rainx to wear off on your wiper blades then see how you go.... i dont use anything on my glass and never had any problems at all my blades are in a pretty bad state atm though all i still hear is how the rubber transitions from one direction to the other. and that is when i pay attention to it.
Thx Joe. I've read elsewhere that 50/50 rubbing alcohol mixed with water can get rid of rain-x. also another user mentioned to spray a bit of silicone lube on the wipers, that seemed to work for now. although at 1st it left a bit of residue then went away.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Using Rain-x can help if it's applied properly. I used to spray a bunch of it onto a paper towel and rub it in. The wipers (esp the pass) would chatter badly. Now, after the windshield is clean, I take a paper towel and get it completely soaked in water. I squeeze out a great deal of the water and then spray a small amount of Rain-x on the paper. Then I wipe the windshield. I have to repeat the process several time to cover the entire windshield but my wipers not longer chatter. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this same problem. Annoying chatter on the passenger side. I never even use rain-x. I guess I wll try cleaning my passenger side with alcohol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had that problem too, the dealership wanted to change them during a free inspection i recently had with a cheap oil change. but all I had to do was clean the wiper of its oil and dirt then rain-x the windshield and now it's all smooth.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Holy shiite you guys! Wiper chatter in one direction means that the blade is not sitting perpendicular to the glass surface. Bend the arm a bit so that the blade is perpendicular, and the chatter will go away. Has nothing to do with Rain-X.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
buy the proper wipers that came with the car in the first place, bosch(the whole blade both sides), pelican parts has em, you get what you pay for

·
Premium Member
20,018 Posts
I'm with the rain x theory. I think I'm gonna get some rubbing alcohol and clean mine. It chatters slightly when its not fully soaked.
And it never did it all year, but when I started using rain x washer fluid, that's about the time it started chattering.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've come to believe that virtually ALL these rain shedding products will eventually cause this shuddering problem. First of all, they do work well, especially with the older glass of our aging cars. The problem is that they basically coat the glass with a silicon film that fills small porous spots in the glass. When you first apply them it's great the water practically sheds itself off. But when you eventually have to start running the wipers with any regularity you basically begin to squeegee the stuff off. It begins to wear off in some spots more than others and also build up on the rubber blade and also re-deposits itself at the end of the wiper's travel path. This builds up at the crossover area and so on causing the chattering, shuddering etc., which is exaggerated when the rain is lighter and the glass isn't soaked. There are two solutions: reapply (which is what the manufacturer's like) when this starts to happen or do a complete clean-off and don't re-use it. For the latter tack, I've heard others who swear that by using a fresh clay bar you can remove all the rain-x as well as other impurities from the glass, then by adding new wiper blades substantially improving the general performance of the wipers. I've personally decided on the latter approach. My 2¢.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts