E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
yup

I'll tell you what, after a few days of snow here in Alaska and driving my 323ci (not xi) I am convinced that these well balanced, winter tire shod e46's will outperform half of the crap 4x4 and AWD cars out there. This is my first rear wheel drive car and am amazed with how well it handles here.
I have an AWD Acura MDX. On all (no) seasons it will sometimes get underway easier than the RWD 330i with snows. The other 99% of the time the RWD car is better at steering and stopping. I've taken the BMW over the Acura at times out into the snow.

· Registered
36 Posts
Snows are Critical

Just put my snow tires on my car - It snowed in Pittsburgh, PA a couple weeks ago and water lays on the roads around my house and sometimes freezes so I like to put them on early to be safe. General Grabber Altimax Arctic 205/50/17, no studs on e36 Msport Doublespokes.

Tires are soft when it's over 40 degrees but under 40 is not bad at all. There are tires out there that perform better, but I regularly drive into the mountains to Deep Creep Lake so the aggressive tread is a must. This car is better than any of the 8 different Jeeps I've owned, never getting stuck.

In the morning before the roads are plowed is the best time to enjoy them - seriously makes my 330 xi feel like a rally car. Makes me look forward to driving to work at 5am.

I bought my car with the snows already on the car. I got a flat tire on the snows in March and threw on the A/S that came with the car. We had one last snow storm and I slid down my driveway and spun out into the road. Nerve racking drive to work and back, and I swore to never go without snows again.

All seasons suck for everything - get snow tires in the winter and have a spare set of wheels and dedicated summer tires. Initial investment pays for itself in piece of mind, mobility, and fun.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car

Snow Winter Freezing Blizzard Winter storm

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Bmw

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Bmw

Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel

· Registered
364 Posts
Worth it!!!

i just got my car done at Krown for a total of $120. Been going there for the past 5 years. No problems what so ever!

Seeing you are from Ottawa you should have a Krown around you.
How do I get a car rust proofed, who does it

Emergency kit should also include: rope to tie around self if venturing too far from car in blizzard, emergency cell phone charger, bottles of water, ceramic heaters are good just make sure you let in some air every few minutes. Fanatics in warm weather may not understand but all these and previously mentioned items do save lives in a snow storm.

BTW. i put new Eagle GT all seasons on my Xi and they rocked in the snow!
Add a Dura log on that list. I use to carry one around with me, figured I could light that for a few BTU's

· Registered
79 Posts
I'm holding out until an actual snow forecast so I'm still on the summer set here in Michigan. I have a full mounted set of winter wheels & tires so i can just change at home at the last minute....but they are aired up and waiting.

· Registered
325xi
3,351 Posts
Getting new Michelin Sport Pilot A/S Plus' today...

I second having the prep kit ready in the trunk... You never know. I made one for my wife... Water, a few power bars, an emergency blanket, cell phone charger, etc. It sits right alongside the tiny air compressor and tire plugs... Which came in VERY handy on a cross country trip last year!

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Did mine last Friday :woot:

Before shot...

My secret weapon...:4ngie:

Tools on hand...

I'm gonna need a floor jack for this...

Time check. I didn't get done till two hours later. I take things slow (my bad back) and I had a blonde moment and put one tire on the wrong side :banghead:

My new bestest friend :rofl:

After shot...

Bring it on!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe winter driving season ahead! :D

· Registered
543 Posts
^Nice. Just put winters on my ZHP over the weekend -- and that alignment tool would have helped. Mille Miglias on Dunlop WinterSports. Yes that is PlatiDip; yes I am a sucker for black rims in the winter.

· Registered
133 Posts
anyone here has reviews on Continental winter contact tires? I am going to buy a set of winter wheels that come with these tires installed and there isn't much reviews on tire rack so I figured Id ask her to see what you guys can say?

· Registered
364 Posts
Just put my snow tires on my car - It snowed in Pittsburgh, PA a couple weeks ago and water lays on the roads around my house and sometimes freezes so I like to put them on early to be safe. General Grabber Altimax Arctic 205/50/17, no studs on e36 Msport Doublespokes.

Tires are soft when it's over 40 degrees but under 40 is not bad at all. There are tires out there that perform better, but I regularly drive into the mountains to Deep Creep Lake so the aggressive tread is a must. This car is better than any of the 8 different Jeeps I've owned, never getting stuck.

In the morning before the roads are plowed is the best time to enjoy them - seriously makes my 330 xi feel like a rally car. Makes me look forward to driving to work at 5am.

I bought my car with the snows already on the car. I got a flat tire on the snows in March and threw on the A/S that came with the car. We had one last snow storm and I slid down my driveway and spun out into the road. Nerve racking drive to work and back, and I swore to never go without snows again.

All seasons suck for everything - get snow tires in the winter and have a spare set of wheels and dedicated summer tires. Initial investment pays for itself in piece of mind, mobility, and fun.

View attachment 425537

View attachment 425538

View attachment 425539

View attachment 425540

View attachment 425541
We have zero snow

· Registered
748 Posts
Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2s on Style 54s. The wheels remind me of a snowflake! Probably the last year for these tires, and then I can try to sell the wheels. They were the "sport package" wheels for 323i's.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.