BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a new car wash that just opened up by my house. It is a "touchless" car wash so no brushed are used only high pressured water to clean the car. I ran my mothers van through it yesterday and it seemed to work pretty good. Do you guys think it's ok to use on my bimmer????? She's filthy and it is too cold to wash her outside not to mention that my hose is frozen! What do you guys think? Thnx in advance for the responses!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
At some point having all the dirt and salt sitting on the car is going to do more harm then running it through a modern car wash.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It will get the dirt off okay...but it won't do a very thorough job cleaning! If you live in a snow state...its imperative that you clean off the salt and grime on the car and underneath the car and in the fenders....It sucks washing your car on a 40 degree day but you gotta do it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am in the same situation. I hand washed my car all summer so as not to get the swirl marks (jet black), now do i just say screw it and take it through the touchless? its got about 1/2" of salt and dirt plastered to it. Swirl marks from touchless possible?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
metrxman said:
I am in the same situation. I hand washed my car all summer so as not to get the swirl marks (jet black), now do i just say screw it and take it through the touchless? its got about 1/2" of salt and dirt plastered to it. Swirl marks from touchless possible?
i'm in the same boat

what if i run it thru the wash but i don't let the guys dry it with those dirty towels?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
metrxman said:
I just took my Jet Black 323Ci through a touchless wash at the local Citgo gas station :yikes: The car had so much salt and dirt on it I couldn't open the windows. I figured, what the hell, nothing touches the car so for 4 bucks I gave it a try.

Short story is that it worked WAY better than I thought it would. I would say the car was 90% as clean as when I wash it by hand. No swirls or anything like that - nothing but water (and some likely pretty harsh detergents) touch the car. Even most of the brake dust came off the wheels. And the bottom of the car got rinsed off, too.

I'll definitely use it again.

·
blackonblack
269 Posts
look around for a hand car wash in the area...they tend to do a much better job than touchless washes.

The one by my house is pretty cheap too...13 bucks.

sig.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,962 Posts
guys what size are your tires

check into that .i think i saw somewhere if you have large wheels that plays into it check it out before you do it
bobm3 :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think it's a good idea not to go to those autowashes, though I'm no expert. Heck, I see Porsche drivers always washing their cars themselves - they don't care if it's "hard work", it's worth it! :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts