E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions.

I'm buying my first set of winter tires for my new (to me) 330is. I'm thinking that I should be ok in Columbus, OH with 225/45-17 winter tires rather than the recommended 205/55-16. Plus, I like the look of the Sport Edition Fox 6. I'm slightly concerned that I'm both giving up a "pure" snow tire (like the WS-50) and the narrower width of the recommended winter tire. What are people's expirences with 225/45-17 snow tires? It seems to me that most of my winter driving is going to be on dry, cold pavement here in central Ohio.

Would 225/50-16s look totally ridiculous? I'd have to get the AT Type 5s on 16 inch wheels, of course.

Where do I order the BMW center caps on the TireRack web site? Does it make more sense to call Gary instead ordering from the web site?

Do most people drop ship their wheels to the installer? If I ship them to my home will they drop them off, or do I need to be there?

Hopefully that's enough stupid questions for one post. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
First of all I dont think you can get 16"s on a 330i. The brakes mean 17" is the smallest wheel that will fit.

I'm getting my new 330i in a week or so, and will be running 225/45 R17 Nokian RSi as my winter set up. I think these tyres are among the best right now unless you want to go the whole hog and get studded tires.

As to the size, my opinion and it seems the consensus from the leading BMW forum in Sweden is that unless you will be driving on alot of unplowed roads, the old rule of thumb of thinner tires in the winter doesn't necessarily apply. I think if what you get in Ohio is mainly cold conditions, black ice and the occasional snowfall you'll be fine on that tire size... However I would recommend a proper winter tire as it makes a huge difference when that black ice corner comes up...

/bfg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Milalwi said:
A few questions.

I'm buying my first set of winter tires for my new (to me) 330is. I'm thinking that I should be ok in Columbus, OH with 225/45-17 winter tires rather than the recommended 205/55-16. Plus, I like the look of the Sport Edition Fox 6. I'm slightly concerned that I'm both giving up a "pure" snow tire (like the WS-50) and the narrower width of the recommended winter tire. What are people's expirences with 225/45-17 snow tires? It seems to me that most of my winter driving is going to be on dry, cold pavement here in central Ohio.

Would 225/50-16s look totally ridiculous? I'd have to get the AT Type 5s on 16 inch wheels, of course.

Where do I order the BMW center caps on the TireRack web site? Does it make more sense to call Gary instead ordering from the web site?

Do most people drop ship their wheels to the installer? If I ship them to my home will they drop them off, or do I need to be there?

Hopefully that's enough stupid questions for one post. :)
All depends on what you care about most, handling or traction in snow. Narrower tires are better in snow and 16's would work better (for you only AT Italias on TireRack would work) 17's in my opinion look a bit better and will handle better then 16's.
As for the caps, make sure center bore on the tires you will choose will let you fit BMW center caps on. If not you can go for another solution of getting stickers on what ever caps they will send you. Check with Garry for details.
Finally, if you have somone that can accept the delivery at home go for that, why would you even pay to get the wheels installed on your car. If purchased together, they come mounted and balanced. Just change one tire at a time and you would be all set.
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
proveg said:
Finally, if you have somone that can accept the delivery at home go for that, why would you even pay to get the wheels installed on your car. If purchased together, they come mounted and balanced. Just change one tire at a time and you would be all set.
Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks. I was afraid someone would need to be home. I don't own a torque wrench, so I don't really want to put them on myself. I suppose I could buy one. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Milalwi said:
Thanks. I was afraid someone would need to be home. I don't own a torque wrench, so I don't really want to put them on myself. I suppose I could buy one. :dunno:
Some clarifications :

For size either 205/55R16 or 225/50R16 will work on those wheels.

The ATI 16" does indeed fit the brakes on the 330i. Your OE center caps will fit in these wheels, although we do have extras avail for purchase at $6 each. Its suggested to use a torque wrench so you don't over/under tighten the bolts. We do sell a basic one for $29.95. When shipping UPS, leaving them is up to the driver, but they'll often do just that, or if you leave a note on the door they are very likely to leave them. Worst case if you miss them the first day, they leave a note you, and return for two consecutive attempts.

I can help over the phone, or if you order online be sure to refer to 'gary/E46Fanatics' as your 'previous contact' so that I portion of the proceeds goes back to the E46Fanatics site. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some clarifications :

For size either 205/55R16 or 225/50R16 will work on those wheels.

The ATI 16" does indeed fit the brakes on the 330i. Your OE center caps will fit in these wheels, although we do have extras avail for purchase at $6 each. Its suggested to use a torque wrench so you don't over/under tighten the bolts. We do sell a basic one for $29.95. When shipping UPS, leaving them is up to the driver, but they'll often do just that, or if you leave a note on the door they are very likely to leave them. Worst case if you miss them the first day, they leave a note you, and return for two consecutive attempts.

I can help over the phone, or if you order online be sure to refer to 'gary/E46Fanatics' as your 'previous contact' so that I portion of the proceeds goes back to the E46Fanatics site. :thumbup:

Thanks, Gary. I am leaning towards 225/45-17 on Sport Edition Fox 6. I thought I saw that as a winter option for the 330i in one of your print ads, but it doesn't seem to be one of the winter packages on the web site.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Milalwi said:
Thanks, Gary. I am leaning towards 225/45-17 on Sport Edition Fox 6. I thought I saw that as a winter option for the 330i in one of your print ads, but it doesn't seem to be one of the winter packages on the web site.

Not sure why its now shown online now...certainly still an option at $119 per wheel in 17" plus the cost of the tire that you choose.

Here is a direct link to the winter area that might snow the wheel there :

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&url=/winter/index.jsp

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had 225/45-17's blizzaks (ordered from tire rack!) on my 325i Sport last winter, and they worked great. I don't believe that nonsense about skinnier smaller tires being better for the winter either.

Well I should clarify, the tires worked great while they were on the car, when I took them off in march and put the summer tires back on and then it snowed three weeks later I was kinda screwed.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
jaguar said:
I've had 225/45-17's blizzaks (ordered from tire rack!) on my 325i Sport last winter, and they worked great. I don't believe that nonsense about skinnier smaller tires being better for the winter either.

Well I should clarify, the tires worked great while they were on the car, when I took them off in march and put the summer tires back on and then it snowed three weeks later I was kinda screwed.
All other factors being equal, the narrower tire does slightly better in deeper snow. However, the tires tread pattern and comound will play a greater role in this than the relatively small difference of 20mm in this case. For example, I'd rather be on 225/45R17 WS-50s in snow, but would prefer 205/50R17 LM-22s in the dry. Either choice is a large step up from an all season tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts