BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for winter tire suggestions for my 2004 325xi. I have a set of Miglia 1000 wheels. They are 17" x ?. Not sure on the width. I currently have a set of 235/40 R17 on them that will have to come off for the winter. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I run 245 45 17
For the winter I had Hancock winters and they did awesome for having like 20 % life left

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea if those would be wide enough for the wheels I have? I have a feeling my wheels are around 8.5" wide.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run a set of Dunlop Wintersport tire in 225/45/17 on 17x7 wheels. Chances are if you have 8.5 inch wheels you'll need to go with at least a 235 width tire. Alternately, pick up a set of cheap used wheels for winter use. Narrower is better when it comes to snow tires

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
225 max for snow tires. Check out the new Nokians on their website.

I'd get a set of used BMW wheels, never cheap aftermarket.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've always used Blizzaks for the the wifes car and mine. Mechanic told me to try General Altimax for one season. We got hit hard last year and the Altimax were far superior to the Blizzaks in my opinion. Cheaper as well.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I've always used Blizzaks for the the wifes car and mine. Mechanic told me to try General Altimax for one season. We got hit hard last year and the Altimax were far superior to the Blizzaks in my opinion. Cheaper as well.
Those are nice tires. They wear quickly compared to the Nokian. I would buy them if I was looking for cheaper studded tires than the Nokian studded.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Blizzak. Blizzak. Blizzak.

I had Blizzaks on my old car, I got a set of Michelin Arctic Alpin's on my XI...I can tell you, hands down, the Blizzak tires are better.

Blizzak. Blizzak. Blizzak.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Those are nice tires. They wear quickly compared to the Nokian. I would buy them if I was looking for cheaper studded tires than the Nokian studded.
Note, make sure that your state allows studded tires as many of them do not.

Also, the reason I like the X-Ice2 tires is that they work well on dry roads in the cold as well as in snow. Granted they aren't as good in snow as a set of Blizzaks or Nokians, but they perform better on the cleared roads that you probably drive on 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My michelin snow tires were great on dry and wet roads and ok on snow/ice. I want to try nokians...heard nothing but great things.

·
Registered
815 Posts
On my previous 3 series cars I always ran Blizzaks and on my e46xi's I run Continental Extreme Contact Winters. Both of these offer great ice traction, good light snow traction and fair to good deep snow traction. I any case, believe you said you have 17 inch wheels, you want to go no wider than stock width and you will get better winter traction in all conditions of ice and snow with a slightly narrower and higher sidewall, more weight on the contact patch (and I know there will be some here that will disagree with that statement, but check out Tire Racks website on winter tires and their testing, www.tirerack.com).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestions. I did some measuring and my wheels are 17x9 (at least 9, possibly a little more). Going with a stock width at this point will mean a new set of wheels for sure. I've been keeping an eye out for the right set. If I don't find any, I may end up looking for an all season tire that will fit my wheel and work for winter driving also. Any recommendations on an all season that will fit a 17x9 wheel on an xi?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Continental has recently done some testing and found that wider wheels are better for hard packed snow and ice grip for basically the same reasons wider tires provide more grip on dry pavement. Narrower tires are better on loose fresh powder because they cut through it better and don't float on top. The best choice for you might depend on what kind of snow you drive through.

I'm rarely on the road driving through fresh powder in the burbs, as it usually gets packed down by the plow and cars on the road before me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Continental has recently done some testing and found that wider wheels are better for hard packed snow and ice grip for basically the same reasons wider tires provide more grip on dry pavement. Narrower tires are better on loose fresh powder because they cut through it better and don't float on top. The best choice for you might depend on what kind of snow you drive through.

I'm rarely on the road driving through fresh powder in the burbs, as it usually gets packed down by the plow and cars on the road before me.

Link?

This goes against everything I've ever heard about snow tires and the most desirable width.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts

That is interesting. I agree. It may also be true for slush, since my 225 hakkas handle it better than 205 hakkas. They are different models however, so not a very scientific test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts