BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so our first snow of the season here in Philly has me all pumped up for some snow action. Attempting to drive on my nearly bald conti's has proven impossible, thus it's time for the winter wheel/ tire combo. Now a few Q's...

I think I'm going with the M contour wheels from Tirerack, but they come in 16 and 17 inch. Is there any advantage to getting a smaller size in the winter? I just figured the 17's would be better when it's not snowing, which is the majority of the time.

Now for the tires...It sounds like a lot of people like the Blizzak LM-22's, and I have read the good reviews. (Pilot Alpins seem to be another fav) My question here is how do they hold up in the dry not-snowy conditions? Handle decent? Wear faster? Noisier?

I think that's about it for me. I'm gonna call Eddie on Monday and order a up a set if all goes well.

Thanks for any help.

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Snows

I bought the 17" M Contour Replica's and 205/55 Blizzak LM-22s and loved them. I've now moved to warmer climates and sold them to Andy XXL who's out in Boston and he's happy with them as well. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45254&highlight=Snow

The reason I went with 17"s is for looks and for resale. I figured I'd be selling them sometime down the road and this way I could sell them as summer or winter rims. For performance, it's the tire that really counts... To point out the obvious, the narrower the tire the better the snow traction, the wider the tire, the better the traction is on ice. I went with the 205s because I was more worried about the deep snow than ice not to mention they were less expensive... they did great on both. On the dry, salty highways they handled fine and weren't noisy at all. They are noticeably softer though and you won't be taking clover leafs the same but over all I was quite impressed. I felt TONS more confident than I ever did in my 4wd Wrangler on All Seasons I had previously. Hope that helps.

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Here's how they looked...

RF

Attachments

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
RR

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot!

Exactly what I was looking for, pics and all!

Yeah, I can see the resale of the 17's too and I think that's what I'll go with. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some reason not to have larger wheels in the summer time.

I'm just hung up now on the tire size. 205's seem like the better bet, but we honestly never get THAT much snow (last winter essentially none!) so I figured for the winter non-snow driving the 225's would be more driving oriented?

PS: Any more pics of those contours on your ride?

·
Registered OG User
586 Posts
If you have a 330, you can only fit 17's due to brake clearance. I think there is one company that makes a few 16's that just barely clear it, but I say play it safe and get the 17's.

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Coldintake said:
If you have a 330, you can only fit 17's due to brake clearance. I think there is one company that makes a few 16's that just barely clear it, but I say play it safe and get the 17's.
The AT Italia Type 5 (M Contour Replica) is the ONLY 16" wheel that will clear the Sport Package brakes. Here's some more pics for ya AWay...

Attachments

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Nice Polished Lip (although small)

Attachments

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Here's a look at the tread of the LM-22s...

Attachments

·
HartgE46
800 Posts
Side shot

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts