E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to this amazing forum and lots of research I decided to finally tackle the infamous E46 Double Din Project as a Winter Project this past weekend. Broke the project down into several stages over 2 days and made the install much less stressful and actually kind of fun. :loco: Only wish I documented it with more photos...

Loving this new toy! I would easily recommend this HU to anyone looking to go DBL DIN! Using all features including- speedometer based NAV, DVD, SD card video and wallpapers, Voice Activated commands, Bluetooth Handsfree, IPod integration, Sirius... list goes on. This HU is stacked!

Thanks again for all the references and advice from this forum!

P.S. have an extra Janus Install Kit and several other items for sale in Classifieds PM me!!!

·
Registered
19,163 Posts
Looks great! I'd love to do this soon!

can you give us some more details? Like what model that HU is, what other components you had to get, what tricks or shortcuts you may have found along the way?

So far I can imagine you had to get:
The head unit
The double din bezel
the HVAC Control relocation kit

Also, do you steering wheel controls still work? Like the volume and skipping back and forth through tracks, etc.?
..... :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks great! I'd love to do this soon!

can you give us some more details? Like what model that HU is, what other components you had to get, what tricks or shortcuts you may have found along the way?

So far I can imagine you had to get:
The head unit
The double din bezel
the HVAC Control relocation kit

Also, do you steering wheel controls still work? Like the volume and skipping back and forth through tracks, etc.?
..... :)
Basically got all the misc parts off eBay once I found the part #'s for each. List looked like this:
HU Z110BT
DBL Din bezel &
Janus kit - (for vent mod and radio mount)
HVAC relocation P/N 51 16 7 001 410 (for one piece button strip only!)
Scosche Harness (for pre-wiring to factory harness)
Antenna Adapter
PAC-OEM2 (to integrate factory Harman Kardon amps)
PAC-SWI-PS (to translate steering wheel controls to Pioneer) only using vol up/down and track up/down (Voice Activation button not programmable until verison 1.6.8 releases :banghead: Damn you Pioneer!)
Pioneer iPod interface cable
Sirius Tuner and Pioneer Interface
Rear Camera (already wired but still waiting for cam to ship from overseas :censor: will post pics once I install it next to lic plate lights)
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... DREMEL TOOL and lots of PATIENCE!!!

Ran both GPS and Sirius antennas to stealth factory locations under rear deck panel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
considering a DD unit as well....how long did it actually take. I live in metro ny area, are there reasonably priced installers that anyone can recommend?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
considering a DD unit as well....how long did it actually take. I live in metro ny area, are there reasonably priced installers that anyone can recommend?
I broke it down into about 2 days. All the cable runs one day and all the vent mods and all the custom dremel work another day. Also prewiring all the harnesses first even before getting into the car saved alot of time. I would say total hours would be like 15-20hrs... If u have the right tools and some patience you can fly through it. I've heard that most are charging ~$200-$250 to do an install... :thumbdwn: Do it urself so u know it's done RIGHT and NEAT... IMO...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally installed the Reverse Cam to finish up my DD install. My eBay cam actually shipped alot quicker from overseas than I expected and was WAY better quality than I expected. :thumbsup: Fit perfectly for where I wanted to mount it and the camera angle lined up nice (wanted to see my bumper as a point of reference, otherwise it was useless to me) Looking to clearcoat it once the weather gets warmer.

"Driving" view in Navigation Mode

"Reverse trigger" Mode

1 - 11 of 11 Posts