E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home yesterday, and a rock skipped up and hit my windshield. There is a small crack, about the size of a dime. I went and got it filled so it wouldn't crack further. I wanted to know if anyone, knows around how much it would cost to replace the whole windshield, as it bothers me to know that my car has a flaw in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
An OEM BMW branded Pilkington is about $500. Call up some local glass places and see if they carry non-OEM Pilkington glass (same manufacturer). The only possible problem is getting a non-OEM and re-usng the rain sensor and not having it work perfectly. OEM come with the sensor built in and doesn't have to be transplanted. The non-OEM is about $250.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you have windshield replacement through your insurance. If I was to get my windshield replaced through my insurance, which either happened today or will happen tomorrow, they guarantee the work for the life of the car. I guess the life of the windshield granted you have the car that long.

Bottom line, if you have the insurance to cover it then do it through insurance. The deductible it usually like $100 dollars. The plus side is the work is guaranteed by a respectable shop and backed by your insurance company. If you don't have windshield replacement...get it! Most places that good insurance companies deal with are pretty good about the work they do.

This is my windshield...my car was vandalized last week.:ben::censor:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Do you have windshield replacement through your insurance. If I was to get my windshield replaced through my insurance, which either happened today or will happen tomorrow, they guarantee the work for the life of the car. I guess the life of the windshield granted you have the car that long.

Bottom line, if you have the insurance to cover it then do it through insurance. The deductible it usually like $100 dollars. The plus side is the work is guaranteed by a respectable shop and backed by your insurance company. If you don't have windshield replacement...get it! Most places that good insurance companies deal with are pretty good about the work they do.

This is my windshield...my car was vandalized last week.:ben::censor:
In California insurance companies do not have glass coverage. Insurance companies will pay for a REPAIR, but replacement is covered under Comprehensive insurance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Really? I apologize for my misinformation then. That's stupid if they'll insure my windshield and I'm registered in Washington what's to say I don't drive all over the place? I don't see what difference it makes, but that sucks for you guys.

Why do the insurance companies hate you guys?

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
Really? I apologize for my misinformation then. That's stupid if they'll insure my windshield and I'm registered in Washington what's to say I don't drive all over the place? I don't see what difference it makes, but that sucks for you guys.

Why do the insurance companies hate you guys?
Don't sweat it, each state varies and insurance companies aren't required by state law to cover glass like they might in other states. It's them having to pay for as little as possible. :rofl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.