E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to know if there are any BMW clubs in Virginia Beach, VA?
Second, the rubber gasket/ molding that is around my windows has deteriorated - should I take her (yes my BMW is a girl) to a windshield place to have replaced? OR is it a rubber gasket that I have to replace on my own? Third, the silver trim above each door has a foggy look to it- as if acid rain or something has got to it- I have tried wax, buffing--- you name it- and it still looks bad- do I just have to replace it?

Thank,
Catherine
Virginia Beach, VA
[email protected]

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,309 Posts
On the windshield thing - are you referring to the cowl at the bottom? You can replace that yourself if you're handy, and it's been known to deteriorate if the car is mostly left outside. Your windshield itself won't leak - that's glazed on using an adhesive.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Hey Catherine...

realoem.com is the place to find all your parts' numbers. I'll help you find that trim. But so you know, it's aesthetic, not related to whether it leaks or not. (Edit: not sure which windows you mean...thought you meant around windshield...still realoem is the answer. Also, gummi pflege might help in some cases.)

The silver trim is aluminum and you can polish it. BeMyWhip made a thread on it using a dremel. I've written about what I did...very fine sandpaper...maybe start with 1500 grit or so...go down to 1000 or 800 if needed. Then work up with polish.

Mask off paint nearby. I did this years ago...you're basically removing the layer of oxidized clear coat as far as I can tell. Use long, smooth, firm strokes. Don't swirl, just long and straight. I won't use an analogy to explain further!

Guys here just repaint them...some replace them...personally I think mine look perfect now.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
My BMW is a guy. It was born a girl though. I would try some mother's polish on the trim or ScratchX 2.0 first before resorting to sandpaper. Sandpaper can go really wrong really fast if you're not extremely careful at what you're doing or if it's your first time. You could scratch the surrounding paint.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
...which is why I said mask off the paint! lol

It's fine to work up in grittiness, but I know from experience that a fine sandpaper works. Small pieces. As I said, start very fine...get a sheet and cut up into small pieces you can control. It's solid metal though, and can be sanded. Whatever you do sanding wise, just start off fine, get a little coarser if you need to, but you shouldn't need coarser than 800 grit--find autobody shop--they'll have all the sandpaper you need. Then get aggressive polishes--rubbing compound...keeping getting finer and finer--polishing compound--an aluminum polish--then you can wax if you want. I use magic eraser to maintain mine now.

Worst case, you mess up and paint like so many here do...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CVX5832,
Thank you. Yes, I am referring to the bottom gasket on the windshield and on the little louver windows on the sides. Thanks! I all have a bottom gasket that is falling apart- and yes, my BMW is outside all day in an open parking lot at work, with no chance for shade.

DMAX,
I do have a dremel- and will try it. Thanks!
E46 Mango,
I did try the mother's polish on the trim and ScratchX 2.0. It did nothing- and the foggy look just came back. However, because my car has just had a new paint job (pretty metallic dark blue)- the polish will be used later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.