BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup fellas!

any suggestions on getting rid of the window rattle that's been recurring on my e46 sedan??

i'm bringing i back to the dealer for the 5th time to correct and it seems after a yr, the regulators are shot again. it's annoying and makes the car sound cheap with the noise.

let me know any feedback so i canapproach the dealer.

thanks

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,546 Posts
I was actually talking to a mechanic at my dealer about all the rattles on E46's. he said on the sedan you have to put oil between the rubber and metal on the door. When the rubber gets dry its rattles and squeaks against the metal on the door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like a plan! but how often do u need to oil it? and any specific oil i should use?? i'm fed up bringing the car to the dealer cuz they can't find a solution and i think it just takes the knowledge of the e46 enthusiasts to actually come up with a better fix to a problem. thanks fellas in advance!

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,546 Posts
i really didn't get that much info, the mech. was just telling me all the common problems with E46's and the e46 4dr. rattle came up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
lube

yeah, that squeaking/rattling noise used to come from all my doors too and I asked the dealer to lube the seals and that took care of all the noises. They recommend that you lube the seals every time you wash your car using their silicone rubber/trim lube you can get at the dealer for $8 or $12 bucks (i forget which).

oh, remember that it's the rubber that runs across the top edge of the doors (has some "fur" on it) that causes the squeak, not the rubber seals that go around the door, though wouldn't hurt to lube those too. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts