E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Recentl;y I had to replace my rear window "raising" mechanism because the clips broke. Now I have a totally different problem with my front window. Basically it will go down at normal speed, but it will raise at a snails pace...sometimes it will stop half ways up, like it can't take it anymore.

i know the difference between the breaking clips and this, so does anyone have an idea. The actual motor going bad perhaps?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the motor. It's going down easily because gravity is doing all the work.

Kinda what I thought. Any recommendations on places to get new motors...other than dealer of course?

·
Registered
152 Posts
You might have installed the regulator wrong. When I first put my replacement one in it had the same problem, and it wouldn't go 'auto-up' either. I realigned the brackets and it still didn't, but it started going all the way up. After a couple days of settling it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
When you replaced the regulator did you move the window up and down by hand to make sure it didn't bind? It could be an alignment issue or maybe the regulator was bent slightly during shipping. Checking for bind must be done with the motor removed.

If it moves freely then it's either the motor or the relays in the GM5 going bad.

The relays are P/N V23078-C1002-A303 and are available from http://bmwgm5.com/GM5_FW_Relays.htm

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue isn't the clips gents....the front window just raises veeeerrrrry slooooowly. I know what the breaking cable clips sounds like....but this is a totally different problem. Thanks for the input thus far though! ANyone know a good place to get a new/used motor for the window?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ECSTuning.com has them for $97.31 each and KOPerformance.com has them for $92.17 each
P/N's Front Left - 67628362063, Front Right - 67628362064.

Let us know if the motor fixes the problem.
Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Try one thing before you buy a new motor. The motor should work the same in either direction so while rolling the window down grab the window glass and tug on it. If it doesn't bog down then I would say it's the relays in the GM5 since up and down uses a different set of contacts and the up contacts are probably messed up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My driver side window wont roll it up. Then suddenly about 2 hrs later , start the car and click the switch then the window roll up. I have this intermittent problem since last summer. Is it the switch? is the relay? and what is the relay? I will open it up this weekend and check if it moves. The regulator is about 24 months old. this is the second time I replaced the regulator for the last 4 years. any golden nuggets?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try one thing before you buy a new motor. The motor should work the same in either direction so while rolling the window down grab the window glass and tug on it. If it doesn't bog down then I would say it's the relays in the GM5 since up and down uses a different set of contacts and the up contacts are probably messed up.
Hmm...so let me get this straight...try holding the window up while rolling it down? How would relays affect the strength of the motor? Just curious, I'm not being a smart ass.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
Reynaldo, a relay is basically a mechanical switch.

The GM5 gets all the signals from all the window switches and from the pinch strips and determines what window to roll up or down and if something is in the way via over current on the motor or change in resistance of the pinch strip. The microprocessor in the GM5 then energizes one of the four relays coils (2 for each of the two front windows and 4 more for the rear two windows) which pulls in a movable arm with silver contacts. When the contacts touch, power is routed to the motor. With motors there is usually a very high current to start the motor running and a high voltage spike from back EMF when the current to the motor is stopped. Both of these conditions slowly degrade the relay contacts and cause higher and higher resistances. This high resistance causes less and less power to be delivered to the motor. The relay contacts for rolling the windows up are different from rolling the windows down so it's very likely that one set is bad and the other set is fine, or just not that bad.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scottjoh, do you have a parts breakdown of what to look for if I was going to investigate the relays?

·
Registered
837 Posts
My window will not roll up and now it was stocked below. I opened it up and replaced the window regulator. Well, it didnt fix the problem. I found out that the motor only rotates one way. Is the motor bad?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.