E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2002 325ci
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 02 325Ci. I went to slightly roll down my passenger window and when I clicked up to stop the window, it went down more. It ending up going all the way down. When I got home I tested if it could go up with the key or the lock and it did not.
On E46 fanatics FaceBook group everyone said the regulator failed and, to replace the regulator and the motor.
After taking it apart myself and testing a few things. it turns out the motor can only put the window down and, the up input would only allow it to go down.
The regulator is original and doesn't seem to have any issues moving.
I pulled the window up all the way and bolted the motor back in but I left the electrical connection unplugged. Therefore there is no way for the window to move.
so far I have no issues other than I need a new motor. Going to go with a junk yard motor first but If it does the same thing or something similar I will get a new one from FCP Euro and I will update here.
if anyone can link me a thread to video to motor repair, if it does exist or if anyone has a similar problem.
Main point of this post is the regulator doesn't seem to always be the issue and, anyone can at least get the window in a position that is manageable. Rather than leaving it or paying for a regulator that wasn't the issue in the first place.

· Premium Member
12,041 Posts
when I clicked up to stop the window, it went down more.....
On E46 fanatics FaceBook group everyone said the regulator failed and, to replace the regulator and the motor.
Wrong, as a failed regulator or motor can't do this.

so far I have no issues other than I need a new motor. Going to go with a junk yard motor first but If it does the same thing or something similar I will get a new one from FCP Euro
New motor can't fix this.
I think the window switch could be bad -- the up direction signal doesn't work and so the GM5 module doesn't detect it and cannot change moving direction from going down to up; you should try to swap the switch to see if thing changes.

· Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,702 Posts
Switch is likely bad, I had the same issue. Rubber diaphragm inside fails and the switch stays on.

As a free fix you can take the switch apart and jam paper or something between the contact and the diaphragm to deactivate the switch. Then you put that switch for the rear vent autoclose button, the button is blocked anyway you'll never have to use it.

watch this

1 - 3 of 3 Posts