BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if Dinan will ever come out with a supercharger for e46's. They have kits for other cars and I was just wondering if anybody had any info...TIA

·
Registered
401 Posts
I heard that it will come out in a year and a half.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Too much $$. I bought my 330Ci sport for 35K. 5K more for Supercharger, and we're good to go. Find me a brand new M3 for 40K, and I'll buy it! Maybe I should just go to that eastern europe website ....

Anyway, I figured the dinan supercharger was too good to be true ...

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
StumP said:
I was just wondering if Dinan will ever come out with a supercharger for e46's. They have kits for other cars and I was just wondering if anybody had any info...TIA
Don't count on it. According to Steve Dinan, the reason that his company does not develop more and better performance stuff for the 3 Series (excluding the M3) is because the average 3 Series consumer does not spend money on such stuff for their cars. As a result they will never support the 3 Series like they support the M3 and M5. Supply and demand. There is no sincere demand from the 3 Series community and therefore there will be no development/supply.

I say that to say this: Don't count on a Dinan supercharger for the 3 Series (323, 325, 328, 330)... it's a high ticket product that is not likely to be purchased in enough volume by 3 Series folk to make it worth Dinan's while and effort.

I was at the meeting at Habberstad BMW in Long Island this past summer when Steve Dinan said that... for those of you who wanna be sure that what I said is reliable info.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see...Thanks for the info

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,328 Posts
You guys remember that video where Steve Dinan said that they got a whopping 361 hp out of n/a M3engine. 28 horsepower increase doesn't seem like that much to me. :dunno:

·
Banned
668 Posts
David328Ci said:
You guys remember that video where Steve Dinan said that they got a whopping 361 hp out of n/a M3engine. 28 horsepower increase doesn't seem like that much to me. :dunno:
Well remember dinan stuff is all under warranty, im sure he could get more out of it if he wanted. Another thing, they use a shorter final drive which should give a nice acceleration gain.

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,328 Posts
sticky2 said:

Well remember dinan stuff is all under warranty, im sure he could get more out of it if he wanted. Another thing, they use a shorter final drive which should give a nice acceleration gain.
warranty smorranty :dunno: Warranty only lasts so long and then what? I want to go fast...no wait....I want to go really fast....so fast the blood rushes out of your eyes your and you can barely see. And I wanna do it all in an m3. :thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't count on it. According to Steve Dinan, the reason that his company does not develop more and better performance stuff for the 3 Series (excluding the M3) is because the average 3 Series consumer does not spend money on such stuff for their cars. As a result they will never support the 3 Series like they support the M3 and M5. Supply and demand. There is no sincere demand from the 3 Series community and therefore there will be no development/supply.
Hmm.. I think the problem with this logic is that there are SOOO many more e46 3 series cars than either the m5 or m3.

For instance, in 2k2:
325 sold (including touring, ci's, i's, etc) = 72794
330 sold = 33126

M3's sold = 9509
M5's sold = 1666

So, Mr Dinan will only make superchargers for the M's, so his potential market size (if you just look at 2k2 sales figures) is 11,174 units. He'd forsake the 325i/330 market, which is a combined 105920 units.

While I agree that the average M owner is more of an enthusiast, it makes a lot of sense to me to make a supercharger for the 325/330 crowd, as the potential market is 10 TIMES larger.

Thus, if even the 325/330 owner community was 1/10th as interested as the M community, you'd sell about the same units. Besides, I think you're much safer doign F/I on a 325 or 330 than either the current M3/m5 powerplants.

(note: data is from a post on Bimmerfest w/ the sales numbers for just the US I believe.)

·
Registered
434 Posts
David328Ci said:
The 361 came from intake/meter, throttle bodies, and exhaust (and chip). This should be released in the spring.

They are talking about a Supercharger for the M3 (about 1.5 years away) producing over 400 HP.

·
Banned
668 Posts
M3Fella said:

The 361 came from intake/meter, throttle bodies, and exhaust (and chip). This should be released in the spring.

They are talking about a Supercharger for the M3 (about 1.5 years away) producing over 400 HP.
Where did u hear they are making an sc for the e46 m3?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Re: Re: Will there ever be a Dinan Supercharger for our cars?

RRRize said:

This is the most flawed logic I've ever heard. He can't be that stupid. The 3's outsell every other model by a huge margin and more importantly, the demographic is younger and more willing to modify for performance purposes. Who mods a 7 series? At 50-80k+ for the M line - I'm betting the majority of M buyers are generally older than the basic 3 series and very likely leasing for 3 years then trading. The fact the the 3.0 and 2.5 engines are in so many models would broaden the potential buyers for engine enhancements. There are dozens of online boards for the 3 too! Pretty much all dedicated to aftermarket parts and upgrades! I do not get this....

I'm surprised BMW hasn't dumped Dinan altogether. Compared to what AMG does with Mercs, the performance gains are nil. There is an equal or better product out there for every thing they sell.... And actually, one might conclude that with the new sport package, there is little or no reason to even have Dinan mods for the 3. Think about it - stiffer suspension, lower, +10hp, new exhaust, etc.... makes you wonder...

·
Registered
434 Posts
sticky2 said:

Where did u hear they are making an sc for the e46 m3?
The Dinan technician on the phone.

He said they have been getting tons of interesting in a SC for the 2001-2003 M3. They believe they could get over 400 HP easily doing one. He said they already released the M5 HP perks, and probably within 1.5 years we will see the M3 one.

·
Registered
374 Posts
He said they have been getting tons of interesting in a SC for the 2001-2003 M3.
So what do we need to do? Do all teh 325/330 owners on this board need to call Dinan and tell them that we want a Dinan SC for our e46's?? If we did that, would we convince them there IS a market for a Dinan SC?

Here's the number:650-962-9401 Call them today and tell them you want an SC!

·
Registered
507 Posts
3Wagon said:
Here's the number:650-962-9401 Call them today and tell them you want an SC!
What's the point? It would cost $8500, plus 50 hours of BMW labor to install, make 45 hp, (with their exhaust and intake). But hey, I think they'd probably give you 10 pts and a Dinan badge!. :tongue:

·
Registered
374 Posts
What's the point?
warranty. Honestly, there are only 2 ways I'd do F/I - 1) wait until my warranty is over and get a SC from ESS or someone or 2) if Dinan came out with one, I'd start saving today and wouldn't wait on the warranty.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts