E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, people are rolling fenders, shaving fenders, flaring fenders, etc to eliminate tire rub. Just wondering if stiffer shocks would lessen tire rub too. Anyone know?

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
lol are you rubbing with your intrax? i had some bad rubbing on the other side of the fenderr when i had them

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,539 Posts
yes, you can do stiffer springs or shocks, but then the road feel is absorbed more by the subframe and connection points, possibly a contribution to all the subframe failures we are seeing. I have my KW shocks set at the second stiffest, and i still rub if I hit a significant dip in the road. KW recommends not to set at full stiff...i could raise the car a little, but who wants to do that. lol

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fisch330ciTopasBlau said:
yes, you can do stiffer springs or shocks, but then the road feel is absorbed more by the subframe and connection points, possibly a contribution to all the subframe failures we are seeing. I have my KW shocks set at the second stiffest, and i still rub if I hit a significant dip in the road. KW recommends not to set at full stiff...i could raise the car a little, but who wants to do that. lol
So, stiffer shocks would lessen rub, but at the expense of additional stress on the subframe? If you set your KW's softer, will you rub more?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm planing on that.
Anybody know some good brands for stiffer springs?
How more stiffer is this compared to OEM sport springs?
Or whatabout OEM non-sport springs?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
Shocks and struts have no effect on the path of the wheel and tire. Either run the proper offset wheel or roll your fenders.

Ed

·
Registered
896 Posts
Stiffer shocks and/or springs will help. I had 19x10's in the rear w/a 265/30 and stock suspension. Rubbed a lot before, and was reduced about 50% after the stiffer suspension. Slightly less suspension damping and travel help the cause after the swap. But like Fisch said, it may lead to subframe cracking in the long run (had that happen too). It's a tradeoff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts