E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chapstick!
397 Posts
m3urthy said:
itll look as stupid as a Step Owner putting a manual shift knob on their gear shifter.
how does that look stupid?
You can't even tell the difference unless you crane your head to the other side of th shift knob and look for the button.
Unless there's a shift pattern on it- that would definitely look stupid.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,484 Posts
it is a pretty cool knob. where else can you get an aluminum knob with raised leather inserts around it?

good luck, but i think this has been covered before, and the consensus was negative.

·
1,445 Posts
quackman said:
how does that look stupid?
You can't even tell the difference unless you crane your head to the other side of th shift knob and look for the button.
Unless there's a shift pattern on it- that would definitely look stupid.

why bother with a Manual knob when you have some REALLy nice aftermarket step knobs?

·
1,445 Posts
ACS, Hartge, Hamann, BavAuto, Alpina and BMW's Accessory Catalogue

How do i know what availible to you and what looks good? I have SMG, Stick and Step. Steptronic X5 4.6 in the garage. :) Trust me, keep SMG on SMG, Stick on Stick and Step on Step

·
Registered
14 Posts
did he ask about changing the original 6-speed knob to SMG knob? or about changing from SMG knob to 6-sp knob??

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
simsima325 said:
it is a pretty cool knob. where else can you get an aluminum knob with raised leather inserts around it?

good luck, but i think this has been covered before, and the consensus was negative.
How about a Plastic knob... that's what these are, and I would gladly give you mine when I find a real know to swap it for!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
dont do that.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apparantly that's a bad idea. I just thought it looked cool and wanted to explore my options. I just think that all the aftermarket knobs look like ***** knobs and really immature. I'll have to check out some of the knobs that homeboy recommended. Thanks for all the posts.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you change the shift pattern and somehow remove the black parts on the sides, it would look good and would probably work well with a short shifter kit.
If you want to do it, do it. Don't let other people's opinions ruin your idea. :thumbup:

BTW, the UUC RK3 shift knob is the closest knob I can think of to the SMG one...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts