BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it gonna cost a lot of money to keep out of warranty BMW 5 series? mileage about 90k? or it is better to sell it?
This is 1997 5 series BMW

Thank you for your opinions. It really help me alot

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
My 323 is out of warranty....I needed new brakes. Called the dealer, they quoted me about 550 just to replace my front rotors. I shopped around....found brakes (front and rear pads and rotors, and sensors from Pacific BMW) for about $250, and I am doing the labor myself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Up until last year I had a '93 525i. I spent about $1k a year in maintenance (almost all preventitive). There's plenty of companies that sell aftermarket and OEM parts much cheaper than the dealers do. If you shop around on parts and have an independent shop do the work you can save a lot.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Independent BMW shop. Find the BMW tuner in your area that other Bimmer heads recommend. I started taking my car to Redline (a strictly BMW shop with some cool stuff) and the cost is probably 70% of what a dealer would charge.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
just remember the labor rate my dealership is 97.50 a hr

and then their are the cost of the item that you have to replace.
if you are going to keep your car for a few years after the warrenty is over i say it is worth it. if you are going to keep your car for 1 year over the warrenty i say you can take a risk without one .
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
my 323 is out of warranty. 63,000 miles. I paid $800 for new brakes several months ago and just had the bmw inspection II service and paid $1100 (w/ state inspection and replacing some belts and hoses also). Plus the occasional $125 every time a window regulator goes out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
but for me its worth it... its my first bmw.. and im 19 and paying for it myself. So at this point I can't afford a new one... yet..

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,680 Posts
BMWE46 said:
buy an aftermarket warranty and you should be fine.

Friend paid 2k for a warranty, and has had close to 10k in work done to his car!!!!!
who did he get it from?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts