E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing Control Arms this weekend, but I forgot my F'ing tie rods back home (I'm at my in-laws to use my father-in-law's tools). I can't drive back home after doing control arms without an alignment, but don't want to pay to have an alignment done twice? Will I have to have another alignment performed after doing the tie rods? If so, I may just try to another pair here...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It's debatable whether you'd actually need to get an alignment down after you replace the control arms as they have no adjustment on them. Replacement of the tierods however is a different story, so most likely you'll need to do an alignment after the latter are replaced.

You should be fine driving the car a few hundred miles at least before tire wear or other issues rise up due to poor alignment. Honestly though - if all you were doing were control arms I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do it all at once... Very important to count the # of turns when removing your tie-rods and use the same # when installing...that'll get you close enough to drive a resonable distance to the alignment shop when your done.

·
Registered
507 Posts
supark said:
It's debatable whether you'd actually need to get an alignment down after you replace the control arms as they have no adjustment on them. Replacement of the tierods however is a different story, so most likely you'll need to do an alignment after the latter are replaced.

You should be fine driving the car a few hundred miles at least before tire wear or other issues rise up due to poor alignment. Honestly though - if all you were doing were control arms I wouldn't bother.
I agree. Control arms will not radically alter your alignment. Even if you are careful about marking and measuring, your tie rods will throw the alignment off, possibly way off.

Though it sounds ridiculous, after you install them (tie rids), center the steering wheel and elevate the front of the car just off the ground. Adjust the tie rod lengths slightly until the distance from the 2 front tires are roughly the same if measured from the front of the tire or back. I was surprised how much better the car tracked and how straight the steering wheel was for the few days before I got a proper alignment done!

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you replace the tie rods get an alignment, no question. If you replace the control arms its ok for a few hundred like it was stated earlier^^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts