BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read that installing a CAI will give your car a noticable gain of power and will also save you some gas. But have read in the forums that a lot of people cannot notice the performance difference or if they do it will be at higher RPM's. So my question is the following:
1. If you do not feel the power, does it consumes less gas with the same power?
2. I have heard that I need to reprogram with a new chip otherwise I wil have error codes. Is that true? I have some money for a set of CAI but not the chip.
3. Have heard that AEF is a good brand. What do you guys think about it? The reason that I want to go with this brand is because I have seen a lot of complaints due to the oil on the filter contaminating the MAF sensor and most likely, you have to end up replacing it.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
it will not save you money........... and here is why

you will love the sound of it so much, you will involuntary and unconsciously be giving it more gas to hear it more....... because that will make you :D

therefore, decreasing gas mileage

:hi:

but even if you gain a few hp from an intake, that will save you pennies w/ gas....

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more air needs more gas!
That is a good logic, though.
But my logic is since there is more air or more pure air in the cylinder, then the explosion will be greater causing more power within the cylinders using the same amount of gas. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
But my logic is since there is more air or more pure air in the cylinder, then the explosion will be greater causing more power within the cylinders using the same amount of gas. Does that sound right?
If there wasn't enough air before than that might be true yeah.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
ya but this still won't do a whole lot...... if you have more air going in, you need to offset it with more gas, or else you aren't going to have enough fuel to burn all of the air going in to the engine....

of course a regular intake doesn't matter THAT much, but do you think you will have awesome gains if you go FI without remapping your fuel intake?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
:hmm: I don't know the science of the matter, nor do I give a rat's arce. I upgraded with a Shark Intake, Shark Injector and a SuperSprint exhaust and my car now gets 100 more miles a tank full than it did before I modded. I'm no Rocket or Brain dude but I purchased my bimmer brand new, have driven it 242,000 miles in the eight plus years I've owed it and before the mods I was getting 400-450 miles per tank and now I'm getting 500-600 miles a tank. I drive mostly highway miles and I love the fact that I'm getting that kind of gas mileage increase with gas prices as unstable as they currently seem to be! Facts are facts the rest is just conjecture! My bimmer now runs more efficiently because it breathes better, therefore gets better gas mileage. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:blah:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you're looking for a way to justify the purchase of an intake then you will get better mileage. However, it's going to take you a long, long time to offset the cost of the intake with the increased mileage.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. So what most of you are telling me is that it will save me some pennies for fuel. Not only that, it will also degrade my engine slower since it will breath better?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
:hmm: I don't know the science of the matter, nor do I give a rat's arce. I upgraded with a Shark Intake, Shark Injector and a SuperSprint exhaust and my car now gets 100 more miles a tank full than it did before I modded. I'm no Rocket or Brain dude but I purchased my bimmer brand new, have driven it 242,000 miles in the eight plus years I've owed it and before the mods I was getting 400-450 miles per tank and now I'm getting 500-600 miles a tank. I drive mostly highway miles and I love the fact that I'm getting that kind of gas mileage increase with gas prices as unstable as they currently seem to be! Facts are facts the rest is just conjecture! My bimmer now runs more efficiently because it breathes better, therefore gets better gas mileage. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
:blah:
I'm in Columbia, MD too :hi:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. A lot of people are saying that the ECIS are good and according to their website, they are NOT supposed to contaminate the MAF sensor. Just want to make sure one thing: they perform a little better by using the same amount of gas right? I mean, they will not consume more gas compared to having a regular stock intake?

·
Millennium Bankers Mortgage
5,486 Posts
OK. A lot of people are saying that the ECIS are good and according to their website, they are NOT supposed to contaminate the MAF sensor. Just want to make sure one thing: they perform a little better by using the same amount of gas right? I mean, they will not consume more gas compared to having a regular stock intake?
It's not the intake that will determine your gas consumption, it's your lead foot that will :thumbsup: If you drive it the car the same way I dont see how it could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the basic theory..............
Casanova, you are right. More air needs more fuel (A/F ratio of approx 14.6:1) If you mash the pedal.........MPG goes down.
Most after market filters flow better than the stock air filter. Your engine does not have to work as hard to get the air it needs, so in theory your MPG should go up.
Most people will not see this (myself included) due to the fact that you love to hear the roar of the intake so you bring the car to redline as often as possible.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What explosion? Gas burns not explodes. You guys ever taken auto shop? There is no change or shouldn't be a change in purity; but more densely packed molecules of oxygen, ie cold air, produce more force because you have a better chance of an even blend of atomized gasoline and oxygen which burns more of the fuel at a stronger burn with a shorter period.\

I've heard that the 46 does better with a ram style intake that is sealed into it's own compartment. Anyone heard this or otheriwse?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I didn't read the whole way through.

To cover gas consumption based on CAI or otherwise you have to realize that not all cars especially not stock cars have a fuel management system like the ones I think you guys are thinking of?(God that was a horrible sentence structure)

Nevertheless, with my ford POS truck I put a custom intake and decided to increase the fuel mix as well. I took a look at fords fuel delivery system and really the only thing I needed to do was put a 20ohm resistor on the itc sensor. Anyway long story short it simply tells the ecu that the engine is running lean so whamo, more gas along with more air = a little more power from a stronger burn, remember the tin can in auto shop...

Long story short, and this aint news: more air especially more dense air and more fuel especially fully atomized fuel will give you more power but rarely give any boost in fuel consumption efficiency.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts