E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before all of you get mad and say this has already been answered, I searched as hard as I could and even checked out the "How to fit M3 parts etc.. Thread" Sorry but I'm not going through 30 pages of "Related Items" to find what I want.

I recently bought an OEM M3 rear bumper, I was wondering if it is possible to fit this to my zhp, I understand on the non-M coupes it required some modification. Is it the same concept with the sedan or are the bumpers completely different?

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
511 Posts
Coupes are wider than sedans, so you're dealing with much more than some minor modification. It could be done, but a professional shop would have to do the work. It would be cheaper to buy a new aftermarket sedan bumper.

From The Official: How to Fit OWM M3 Parts on a Non-M Thread:

Difficulty: 6/10
DIY: Probably not.
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=51&fg=15

This has only been tried a handfull of times, but this mod is usually accompanied by a widebody. Since there's such a difference between M and non-M rear fenders, this bumper is a good inch or two too wide. To fit this correctly, you'll either need to do some hardcore molding and reshaping of the bumper, or a custom widebody in the rear. If you can deal with the bumper flexing and creating numerous noticeable gaps, then I guess you could do it without modifying anything (and only stretching the sides of the bumper in). Again, this mod isn't highly recommended unless you're serious about modifying your car.

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Mtech2
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. Mtech1)
- Various rear addons

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coupes are wider than sedans, so you're dealing with much more than some minor modification. It could be done, but a professional shop would have to do the work. It would be cheaper to buy a new aftermarket sedan bumper.

From The Official: How to Fit OWM M3 Parts on a Non-M Thread:

Difficulty: 6/10
DIY: Probably not.
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=51&fg=15

This has only been tried a handfull of times, but this mod is usually accompanied by a widebody. Since there's such a difference between M and non-M rear fenders, this bumper is a good inch or two too wide. To fit this correctly, you'll either need to do some hardcore molding and reshaping of the bumper, or a custom widebody in the rear. If you can deal with the bumper flexing and creating numerous noticeable gaps, then I guess you could do it without modifying anything (and only stretching the sides of the bumper in). Again, this mod isn't highly recommended unless you're serious about modifying your car.

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Mtech2
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. Mtech1)
- Various rear addons

Could they just roll the rear fenders? Or would that not even be an option? I drive a zhp, and I've heard of the the m-tech II rears being modified to fit the m3 rear diffuser on to it? Is that also a possibility, It seems cheaper...? Sorry for all of the questions I just need to find the easiest answer.. I need quad tips..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You do realize that for quad (center) tips youll need to remove the spare tire well?!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I realize you said you already bought the bumper, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a m3 rear rep for sedan that has the quad exhaust on the ends instead of the middle

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Could they just roll the rear fenders? Or would that not even be an option? I drive a zhp
Doesn't matter whether your car is a ZHP, ZBS, ZHJFFJHGF your car is still a 330 and as a sedan is even smaller than the coupe which requires modification as is. Should've probably asked before you bought it, anything can be done if you're willing to put in the money.

P.S. if that's your car in the sig it isn't a zhp.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,379 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
he will only have to do this if he is going for an M3 muffler setup
Well when I wrote "center" that implies an M3 muffler which is what I assumed the OP wanted to do. Yes u can run a "regular" quad set-up closer the the edges of the bumber without removing the spare tire well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just installed a OEM m3 bumper on my 01 sedan, it is not very hard to do, you can search for my build thread.

you need to modify the rear rebar, make it shorter and remove the bumper sliders and install them about 1/2 inch more into the body

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Well when I wrote "center" that implies an M3 muffler which is what I assumed the OP wanted to do. Yes u can run a "regular" quad set-up closer the the edges of the bumber without removing the spare tire well.
You can have center exhaust tips (muffler to the side of the wheel well) without cutting the wheel well, there is a commercial kit and people have done custom jobs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts