E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a shark help my 99' 323 auto? I'm asking because i would like to put 18 or 19 inch wheels on it, and would just like the have the same acceleration as stock. I don't care if I'm super quick, just back to stock would be fine for me.

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
hey bro how is your car going, what's the status ie is our auto tranny destroyed. i'm curious to know since i have the same car as yours. :thumbup:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...the tranny seems to be ok for now, it used to throw that error when I got up to 80+ but it hasn't lately :dunno: ? But it seems to be starting to shift a little rougher :thumbdwn: So, I was looking into a 5 speed swap and that seems like a huge hassle and expensive. I guess I'll just stick with this tranny and if it goes out, I'll just buy a used one for 1500 and have throw it in there. I'm now hoping I can put some 18's or 19's and just keep my stock speed. I'll worry about speed on my next e46..m3

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
well my car now has 75k miles and i have been scared shitless after reading your posts. as a result, 'ave decided to sell my car early next year, eventhough my tranny runs strong. i'm definitely getting a manual equipped car next so i don't have to worry about this. thinking about an e46 vert or an e90 sedan or coupe. :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
bimmerrocks said:
well my car now has 75k miles and i have been scared shitless after reading your posts. as a result, 'ave decided to sell my car early next year, eventhough my tranny runs strong. i'm definitely getting a manual equipped car next so i don't have to worry about this. thinking about an e46 vert or an e90 sedan or coupe. :)
manual bimmer :thumbup:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone know if the shark will help? I heard somthin that it doesn't cus its an auto?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think the key is will it help as much as if manual. Yes there will be changes made to the emgine software, obviously, which will lead to more power/torque but with stock shift points etc. on the tranny software you may not get the same advantages (can't get to 7K redline etc.) . Dinan has auto tranny software but some Dinan shops will only sell/install if you have their engine software. Anybody with an auto care to comment? Does anyone else make tranny software or kits for step?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm, well if it will give me some more power, hopefully I can run 18's and be at stock speed.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
L-I-B said:
hmm, well if it will give me some more power, hopefully I can run 18's and be at stock speed.
My car was quicker with 18's than it was with 17's. The 18 inch wheel/tire combo I have is almost 7 pounds lighter per assembly than the factory style 44 wheels and OEM tires.

But anyway, the Shark will improve your performance even if you have an automatic. You just won't be able to take advantage of the higher redline.

As far as I know, only Dinan makes software for the steptronic transmission. They're a-holes if they'll only install it with their own worthless engine software.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help slow323ci :thumbup:

I guess i"m not going to go through with the tranny swap by the way, costs way too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts