BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members

I was hoping somebody could help clarify a question for me.

I have found a Carbon Fiber Dinan Cold Air intake locally for sale, and it is off of a 2002 330ci. I am hoping to put this on a 2000 323ci. The seller is uncertain whether or not this will fit, and I am not sure myself. I tried searching the forums and found out some information, but not sure what is true so hopefully someone here will have first hand experience

1.) Will this intake from a 330ci fit a 323ci? I have read somewhere that I need some coupler or adapter of some sort either from Dinan, or an autostore. What is this part, and is there are part number for it from Dinan?

2.) Also read somewhere about xenon ballast relocation. What is this about? Is it applicable to me? If I need the mounts for it, what parts (part number if possible) should I be looking to get?

Thanks

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Do not listen to BMWfanfromQuebec. Though he tries to be helpful, his information is false.

The 330's have a 3.5" diameter intake tube while a 323 has a 3.0" diamter intake tube. So the intake won't be a direct installation. You would need to get a simple 3.5" to 3.0" silicone coupler, which is relatively inexpensive and easy to find online.

As for xenon ballast relocation, yes, you will have to relocate the ballast as it will get in the way. Luckily this is a very simple process. There are only two screws holding the xenon ballast onto the headlamp assembly. You can either undo them while the assembly is on or off the car. Then it is simply a matter of getting a xenon ballast mount and cover from the E46 M3 to securely mount it. I went through the same process and you can find more info about this ballast relocation part here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=661157

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do you have HID's?

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
As for xenon ballast relocation, yes, you will have to relocate the ballast as it will get in the way. Luckily this is a very simple process. There are only two screws holding the xenon ballast onto the headlamp assembly. You can either undo them while the assembly is on or off the car. Then it is simply a matter of getting a xenon ballast mount and cover from the E46 M3 to securely mount it. I went through the same process and you can find more info about this ballast relocation part here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=661157
This is not the case with a facelifted coupe with bi-xenons. I just spent the last 3 hours taking everything apart, then putting it back together, trying to install a BFP intake. The bad part about it, the only thing a really got accomplished was removing the brake duct. At least I won't have to worry about that when I try again.

On my headlights, the ballast is secured with 3 screws and does not have the same connection as the one shown in the picture. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures :banghead: so I'll have to describe it.

The plug that connects into the ballast is rectangular and is clipped into the bottom of the headlight housing. When you screw down the ballast, the connection is engaged. I successful unclipped the plug; however, the connected wires literally only give me an inch of play. It appears there is no way to relocate the ballast without cutting the wires and extending them. And even that would be a chore as you have no room.

Has anyone with a facelifted coupe and bi-xenons been able to install a tube style CAI? I don't know if there's a difference between xenons and bi-xenons as far as the ballast and connection is concerned or if the problem lies with the fact it's a facelifted coupe.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
This is not the case with a facelifted coupe with bi-xenons. I just spent the last 3 hours taking everything apart, then putting it back together, trying to install a BFP intake. The bad part about it, the only thing a really got accomplished was removing the brake duct. At least I won't have to worry about that when I try again.

On my headlights, the ballast is secured with 3 screws and does not have the same connection as the one shown in the picture. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures :banghead: so I'll have to describe it.

The plug that connects into the ballast is rectangular and is clipped into the bottom of the headlight housing. When you screw down the ballast, the connection is engaged. I successful unclipped the plug; however, the connected wires literally only give me an inch of play. It appears there is no way to relocate the ballast without cutting the wires and extending them. And even that would be a chore as you have no room.

Has anyone with a facelifted coupe and bi-xenons been able to install a tube style CAI? I don't know if there's a difference between xenons and bi-xenons as far as the ballast and connection is concerned or if the problem lies with the fact it's a facelifted coupe.
Hmm, I'm not sure if you are actually unable to with the facelift coupe or if you are undoing the wrong screws.

On my ballast, there were two sets of wires going to it. One pair of wires that could be disconnected with a plug, and the other thick black wire is screwed into the ballast with three screws and to the headlamp housing with two small screws. It is these two small screws you remove, and then you get the extras length of cable and freedom to relocate the ballast.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Mine definitely only had one connection on the ballast. Most of the wires on that connection, inside the headlight housing, feed into the connections for the cars wiring harness. I wish I would have taken some pics. I'll take the headlight out in the morning and snap some.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Here's some pics I took this weekend. It appears I only have two options. Custom make a wiring harness utilizing the same female and male plugs or physically cut the existing wires to extend them.

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Oh damn, they really don't make it easy for the facelifted coupe people. That's my first time seeing the back of a facelifted coupe headlight and it's way different than a prefacelift sedan.

Maybe this is why Dinan dropped the tube style intake and started making a more OEM style intake for the E46?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do not listen to BMWfanfromQuebec. Though he tries to be helpful, his information is false.

The 330's have a 3.5" diameter intake tube while a 323 has a 3.0" diamter intake tube. So the intake won't be a direct installation. You would need to get a simple 3.5" to 3.0" silicone coupler, which is relatively inexpensive and easy to find online.

Thanks - this was great information - exactly what I was looking for
and thank goodness I am prefacelift!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ok. I have a 2000 323ci with Dinan intake. So if I want to use an AFE cone filter I would order one for a 3" id tube?
Thanks for info.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Ok. I have a 2000 323ci with Dinan intake. So if I want to use an AFE cone filter I would order one for a 3" id tube?
Thanks for info.
The aFe filter will not fit on the tube style intakes. I currently have both intakes in my possession. The Benfer Performance one is installed and I wanted to use the aFe filter but it's too big. The intake box for the aFe has a much larger tube where the filter is attached. The intake box connects to the MAF and the filter connects to the intake box.

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
any one find a solution to ZHP pilots problem?
I ended up making my own custom wiring harness to relocate the ballast. I don't remember the exact details but I stumbled upon someone on the forum that was sellingal a headlight looms from a broken headlights. I think I had to buy two different looms to get the two connectors I needed. I also remember having to add pins to the connectors. A lot of soldering ensued and I ended up with a harness approximately 18 inches long. IIRC I spent around $150 just to make the harness but it was worth to run the intake.

I sold the intake after losing the car in a wreck. I sold the wiring harness separate to a buddy that was in the same shoes. If I still had it I would offer it up to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts