BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a good bit of searching but haven't found anyone with specifically my problem. Im taking my 04 325xi back into the stop tomorrow.

I get a high frequency vibration at 60-80 mph and worse when the car is in gear. I feel it in the clutch, throttle, steering wheel, seat and shifter knob. Passengers don't notice it but I do and it's not as pleasurable to drive anymore. If I take the car out of gear, it eases up a little. If I get to 95-100, it's no longer as noticable. I do get some shuddering during braking which points me towards a warped rotor along with a noise at very low speed from the front pass wheel.

Brand new tires on true round refurbished rims (I checked before mounting), aligned and balanced. New fcabs.

I'm really hoping go get this figured out with your guys help!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Now the only thing is, the vibration was significantly less today after the rain we had last night....???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Will do. Now the only thing is, the vibration was significantly less today after the rain we had last night....???
Thats weird lol. I just know that alot of vibration issues are from a worn out lcab. Also, one of the symptoms of a worn lcab is that it can feel like you have warped brake rotors. I need to replace them on my car too, it seems like a really simple DIY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats weird lol. I just know that alot of vibration issues are from a worn out lcab. Also, one of the symptoms of a worn lcab is that it can feel like you have warped brake rotors. I need to replace them on my car too, it seems like a really simple DIY.
I know, right? I'm going to llok into the DIY before I have my mechanic do it. I hope that's it.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
I get a high frequency vibration at 60-80 mph and worse when the car is in gear. I feel it in the clutch, throttle, steering wheel, seat and shifter knob.

Passengers don't notice it but I do and it's not as pleasurable to drive anymore. If I take the car out of gear, it eases up a little.
I quoted and highlighted a few sentences that clearly stand out.

This screams driveline vibration to me.

Wheels/tires are "lower" frequency vibrations.

Driveline problems are "higher" frequency vibrations.

You state you feel it more than the passenger, have you actually ridden in the passenger seat to confirm this?

My money would be on the engine/trans mounts and/or the front driveshaft. Driveshaft being either out of alignment due to the engine/trans dropping because of collapsed motor/trans mounts or a sticky or loose U joint in the driveshaft assuming there is no physical damage to the drive shaft.

But it could also be the Guibo flex disc on the rear drive shaft as well?

But keep in mind the front driveshaft is pretty much under/on the drivers/left side of the vehicle.

I am not intimately familiar with the xi, so not 100% sure how the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case and if there is a front Guibo flex disc.

If you need a driveshaft, I would consider one of these vendors as a good alternative to OE from the dealer.

I am somewhat partial to Wholesale Imports as they typically do not require a core driveshaft, but you should check both out as needed.

It amazes me how "shops/Pros" miss the basics with vibrations so often!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I quoted and highlighted a few sentences that clearly stand out.

This screams driveline vibration to me.

Wheels/tires are "lower" frequency vibrations.

Driveline problems are "higher" frequency vibrations.

You state you feel it more than the passenger, have you actually ridden in the passenger seat to confirm this?

My money would be on the engine/trans mounts and/or the front driveshaft. Driveshaft being either out of alignment due to the engine/trans dropping because of collapsed motor/trans mounts or a sticky or loose U joint in the driveshaft assuming there is no physical damage to the drive shaft.

But it could also be the Guibo flex disc on the rear drive shaft as well?

But keep in mind the front driveshaft is pretty much under/on the drivers/left side of the vehicle.

I am not intimately familiar with the xi, so not 100% sure how the front driveshaft connects to the transfer case and if there is a front Guibo flex disc.

If you need a driveshaft, I would consider one of these vendors as a good alternative to OE from the dealer.

I am somewhat partial to Wholesale Imports as they typically do not require a core driveshaft, but you should check both out as needed.

It amazes me how "shops/Pros" miss the basics with vibrations so often!

Wow, that's amazing. I'll talk to my mechanic about it and see if he can find any of that.

I was riding with my wife today and she said she felt it yesterday but not as bad today.

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Wow, that's amazing. I'll talk to my mechanic about it and see if he can find any of that.

I was riding with my wife today and she said she felt it yesterday but not as bad today.
After the crazy rain yesterday enough water could have gotten into tight U joints and loosened them up for a short while, but if this is the case you are on borrowed time with the U-joints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts