BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the morning sometimes, usually when its cold, my car makes this sort fo grinding sound when i shift into reverse. I can feel a hard vibration in the shift knob.This happens usually the first time of the day, and the car is always at a complete stop. Does anybody else have this problem that may be able to tell me a little more about it? It doesnt happen all the time but the frequency has definitley gone up in the cold weather.

havent gone to dealer yet, but will soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody? I hope i am not the only one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking it might have had something to do with that but it has been doing it once in a while since i had about 17,500 miles on the car. would I need new fluid that soon?.

·
O.D.
1,682 Posts
wowzers!

same exact thing happening to my car! happens to me, and guess what, i have about 19,000 miles on my car, almost the same amount as yours, and it only does this to me in the morning, when its cold, so now as my car's winter tires (blizzaks :bow: ) are being put on, they're checking it out for me as well. I really dont know where the problem is or whats going on, so i had the dealership look at it for me. When you shift, it sounds horrible, it makes me want to cringe because it sounds bad. :bawling: but anyways, this probably didnt help, but just so you know :)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
It's probably the tranny...

Like Amir said, try change the fluid!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
BMW's use a lifetime transmission oil that theoretically doesn't need to be changed, ever. However, some people do change the fluid to redline d4 atf which i have in my car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow 325i-vizon! i am glad you know what i am talking about. Please keep me posted as to how the dealership hanldes it. Also can you expalin what you are feeling a lil more clearly. I really cant describe it, but if you can, maybe one of the more technical guys can give us a better explanation. As someone mentioned, BMWs have liftime tranny fluid, so i am now doubting this is the prob.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

hmm, do you have a STEP or manual. I have a 325 02 STEP, and when i shift into reverse (from Park), the tranny would shift pretty hard, and sorta knock noise is heard.

This only happens once in a while and it doesn't do it when I press the brake panel for a while, and then the shift.

I don't know if this is normal...I might call the service department if this presist.

The car has about 8500 KMs on it

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
this could be all sorts of things, but I've heard that the Redline tranny fluid does make things smoother all around, especially on a cold morning (many previous threads on this board). Also, I agree with Amir that you should try putting it into first gear and then into reverse. On my old Honda, I had to do that or it would grind every time. Just became second nature.

I am getting a similar grinding sound along with a couple other problems, but I get it when I shift into 2nd gear....not good. My car is currently at the dealer getting a new transmission put in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, I have been a poor bastard for most of my life and have driven more hoopties than most of you guys have taken the time to laugh at. So with that vast experience but with no mechanic's degree I would say the following few things.

If you have an automatic transmission and you doing an especially cold start (In other words, it sat over night in freezing weather) don't put the car directly into reverse gear. In old domestic cars reverse has always been the weakest point in the transmission and I would guess that may hold true for BMWs too :dunno: . When nursing a bad transmission I would always back into my driveway or where I was parking so I could start the car and put it into drive. In the frozen wasteland that is my state it can get to be 50 below and if you are lucky enough to get your car started your transmission sounds like rocks in a garbage disposal no matter how you drive it! If you can't back your car in when you park then at least shift into drive and feel that it has engaged before then moving it to neutral and into reverse. It may still make noises but it would be the gentlest alternative. :) All the same BMWs are much better engineered so the drivetrain may be bulletproof... I really don't know. :dunno:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car is a manual. Myfirstbimmer, what was happening with your second gear? mine has occasionaly popped out of its socket while i accelerate. did you have the same problem?

·
Registered
838 Posts
tranny

o man the same thing has happened to me. Sometimes it pops out off second and the shift from 1st to second is very very notchy. Is this normal for bmw trannys?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts