E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 325i has a few wierd issues with the radio that I hope someone has a solution to. The radio works fine and gets good reception (stock BMW Business CD, not the Harmann Kardon package) and the rear defroster works. When I have both on, the radio reception cuts out to static on most stations and is sketchy on the rest. I know the antenna is built into the rear windshield on the car and wonder what the problem could be.

The car was unfortunately hit hard by a girl who wasn't paying attention and the passenger quarter panel was replaced. I'm guessing they also removed and reinstalled the glass when the car was having its frame pulled back out, so could something have been screwed up?

Another minor issue with the radio is that bass on the two large speakers on the passenger side has a little bit of static in it (meaning the largest front door speaker and the rear deck speaker). Is this a radio issue or something with both speakers?

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
did they replace the glass with a stock one or aftermarket? is the glass tinted? have you pulled the c-pillar panel and looked at the connections to the defroster and radio antenna?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did they replace the glass with a stock one or aftermarket? is the glass tinted? have you pulled the c-pillar panel and looked at the connections to the defroster and radio antenna?
The glass was not damaged in the wreck and to my knowledge, it's the same piece of glass. I will dig out my file tomorrow and look at the complete list of work. The glass is not tinted. I haven't pulled the pannels to poke around and looked at the connections - are the connections in both pillers or just one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
they are both on the same side. there might be some wires making contact with each other behind the panel. did they replace the quarter panel? or do any welding to the quarter panel up by the window? even though the defroster and the antenna are both on the back glass, they have different grids (lines) and do not touch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure they did do some welding by the window. The quarter was replaced. The gap that is normal between the rear door and the quarter was closed up in the accident, meaning the quarter was pushed forward as well as crunched. So I am guessing it would have been welded close to the door as well as up by the glass to straighten everything out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts