BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was getting a bit of cabin fever this afternoon so I went out looking at convertibles. This whole time I had been thinking that the only 4 seat convertible BMW offered was the 3 series. While I was looking around I noticed the 1 series convertible. Now I know this is an e46 forum so the responses I'm going to receive are a bit biased, but why wouldn't I choose a 1 series convertible over a 3 series? Seems like the 1 series is a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Drive them both. See which one you would prefer.

IMO, the 1 series interior feels a bit plasticky and cheaper. Also personally, I think the 1 series looks far more feminine than that of the more-muscular e46s.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with the drive both then decide, however I'd much prefer the 3 for the looks. The 1 looks like a chopped off 3, the proportions are really funny on it but if you like them then don't let our words affect your decision.

However, I might add, the 1 is a smaller car physically but the weight savings is not significant at all. I think the 3 would be a more stable ride with the longer wheelbase and near equal weight...so go drive em both and see which you like better.

Keep in mind that the main reason why the 1 is any cheaper than the 3 convertible (1 coupe vs 3 coupe isn't much cheaper at all) is that the 3 vert has a retractable hardtop whereas the 1 series (for cost savings) stays with a traditional cloth top.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

IMO, the 1 series interior feels a bit plasticky and cheaper. Also personally, I think the 1 series looks far more feminine than that of the more-muscular e46s.
He's looking for a vert so I think thats probably a +1 aspect to the 1 series

/begin shitstorm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The interior did look a bit too plasticky. I'll have to drive one. Looking back, it did have a more feminine looks when compared to the 3 series but by itself, it looks pretty cool. I wonder if you lose some back seat space?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I was getting a bit of cabin fever this afternoon so I went out looking at convertibles. This whole time I had been thinking that the only 4 seat convertible BMW offered was the 3 series. While I was looking around I noticed the 1 series convertible. Now I know this is an e46 forum so the responses I'm going to receive are a bit biased, but why wouldn't I choose a 1 series convertible over a 3 series? Seems like the 1 series is a bit cheaper.

:confused:

Cheaper then what? E46?

I think you meant cheaper than the E9X, right.

You might be confusing the E46 with something .....

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 1 series, regarldess of what you think of looks, is a lot smaller on the inside...when you go test driving them, bring someone with you, and look at the difference in space between you and the person sitting next to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts