BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Link to the car is below:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/chicago-2006-bmw-e46-m3-stick-shift-six/7051060034.html

All details to the car are in the ad. I understand it has a rebuilt title, I bought it 3 years ago knowing so. The way the car was fixed didn't bother me and I felt for 20k with the mileage and mod list it was worth the money. Are people just this scared of rebuilt title vechicles? This is my 5th rebuilt title M3 and I have never had any issues with them. I also get them inspected and for this one I even have the body work reciept from 2007. I feel like a 7-8k discount due to the title is fair, based on market prices. Any inputs/suggestions would be helpful.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,151 Posts
Buyers can be picky, especially when paying over $10k for a 15 year old BMW, in the rust belt, with a salvage title.
If you were near me, I***8217;d strongly consider buying it. I would just be patient and get the word out as much as possible.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Buyers can be picky, especially when paying over $10k for a 15 year old BMW, in the rust belt, with a salvage title.
If you were near me, I'd strongly consider buying it. I would just be patient and get the word out as much as possible.
^^ agree with this assessment.

I would also strongly consider it if I were local. However, the price gives me pause esp for the salvage title... I would think I could do better.

Also, this time of year, many car people (not sure if applies to M3/Bimmerbros) are storing their "weekend" cars and putting deposits on new cars to be built, not looking at old sporty cars they're going to ice for a few months more or less.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
The R-title is the biggest issue. I wouldn't buy any R-title unless it was a good friend I knew who assured me that it got branded with really minor damage. And even then I'd expect a significant discount over a clean title M3.

Edit: I missed that the accident that caused the R-title was in 2007. This car would have been worth $40-50k back then -- it would have taken quite a bit of damage to force an R-title.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It's a great color combination and the MT is a plus in my mind but I'm sure that most potential buyers are put off by the salvaged title. There may be issues for some to insure and your firm price may turn some off, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lower the price 50/100$ a day, and it will sell quickly. Branded titles significantly devalues a car about 40% in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
Edit: I missed that the accident that caused the R-title was in 2007. This car would have been worth $40-50k back then -- it would have taken quite a bit of damage to force an R-title.
I missed that the first time too... Salvage title while pretty new, but only $4k in body shop repairs?

Something is not adding up. There must be something serious like frame damage which I would want to see proof of fixing...

That is the red flag some people are seeing.... everyone else broke ass will want a broke ass M3.

·
Registered
2003 330i
168 Posts
"Rear view mirror..." I thought only the side view mirror has tilt feature.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
A salvage title is a significant issue. It means that the insurance company declined to make repairs because the cost of repairs exceeded 70% of the value at the time the damage occurred. Somebody made repairs outside of the insurance channels after a claim had been filed. Insurance paid for the total loss, and someone bought the car for pennies on the dollar. Damage could be from a flood, or the car could have been hit by a locomotive, or anything in between. In any case, that car is not worth your price. Sorry.

In interest of full disclosure, I once owned a Mazda MPV that was totaled because a spot welded bracket was sheered off by a woman that ran a red light and literally rubbed the front bumper off. Insurance wanted to replace a frame rail because they would not spot weld a new bracket back on. I bought a bumper skin and the bracket (I broke the bracket off of a car that I took the bumper skin from) and welded the bracket onto my car and drove it for several more years. My point is, the damage can be expensive to repair, but relatively insignificant. I bought my car back after the insurance paid me, maybe they just let me keep it but took the title and sent a new one. I bought parts for under $200.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks good. But what he said, no way a light hit happens and they total a car worth at low end 35k for only 4-5k worth of damage. And the mods don***8217;t help much, most ppl who want something with low miles don***8217;t want to modded. Glws

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 20 of 40 Posts