BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
maybe its because of the rate of the dollar

on the duty going into canada and the taxes to on it.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
742 Posts
twf said:
Just about all cars are cheaper in the US.
Actually, the less expensive cars (civic, focus, etc.) are less expensive in Canada.

Remember reading about it in the paper a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Proportionally, the number of available M3s in Canada is close to the US (ie Canada has 1/10th US population, also about 1/10th M3s) so that isn't an issue.

Typically, sports cars in Canada cost more than in the US after conversion but virtually all other cars are cheaper in Canada.

The main reason is the Cdn M3 new costs much more than the US M3 new. Right now, exchange is about $1 US = $1.30 Cdn but new Cdn M3 price is set as if the rate were $1 US = $1.60 Cdn. Used prices heavily account for what new prices were, so while the depreciation rate for Cdn & US M3s are similar, our used M3s cost more because the new price is also more.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mpower619 said:
CANADA has the real Euro M3 also, so it makes a difference in price.
Actually, we have the US-spec M3. In fact, I believe virtually 100% of Cdn cars are built to US-specs, not European stds. The only difference is Canada actually has tougher safety stds than the US (ie crash test @ higher speeds).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
not sure if this affects used prices but what about location ?

For instance, cars in Ontario are much cheaper than cars in British Columbia. This could be the same for the US vs. Canadaian prices on used cars.

Kinda hard to explain, but cars in ontario are cheaper because people put more mileage on their cars plus the salt harms the car more than compared in BC where the cars arent so high on mileage and theres less wear on the car.

Maybe the cars that you were looking for have more mileage or something ? i dunno.. just a thought. please dont flame me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's mostly Tax and Duty. Reason why some cars are cheaper, because American Car maker has Manufacturing facility there. Tax breaks, keep the price more competitive in their respective market. BMW in indonesia cost twice as much because of thier 100% duty tax..

·
Alpha Male
7,143 Posts
Another thing to consider is:

While yes we pay more for M3s one thing you may not have looked at is the standard features on an M3 in Canada vs. the USA.

Base M3s in the US are litterally BONE stock. Compare the standard features and options on www.bmwusa.com with the ones on www.bmw.ca . Or to make it even easier try the "Build your own..." on each site. You'll see clearly that there are very little options on Canadian M3s because a lot more stuff is standard equipment. (over US m3s)

As an example:

Xenons and glass power moonroof are both standard in Canadian M3s while in US ones they are not.

You're prolly looking at $800-$900 CAD for the Xenons and over $1000 CAD for the sunroof alone. (based on what it would cost if you were to get those options on a regular E46)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Clem brings an interesting point in so much that a lot of options are standard here in Canada.

I think that cold weather package is now standard as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What Clem said was what I was going to say.

There is a huge difference in standard features. Such as:

Heated Seats $500
Power Seats $995
Moonroof $1050
Xenon $700
HK System $675
Metallic paint $475

Almost $5000 USD in options

1 - 16 of 16 Posts