BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
325ci 2001 convertible
Quick at speed when you punch it but a complete dog from a dead stop, has been like this since I got it. Is this normal? What can I do to throw me back in my seat off the line? Also when I’m at higher speeds with pedal floored there is a screech when the automatic trans shifts, what’s that about ?

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
517 Posts
325ci 2001 convertible
Quick at speed when you punch it but a complete dog from a dead stop, has been like this since I got it. Is this normal? What can I do to throw me back in my seat off the line? Also when I’m at higher speeds with pedal floored there is a screech when the automatic trans shifts, what’s that about ?
Why the hurry???

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,410 Posts
Do not forget convertiblw is 130 kg heavier than coupe, means you always have two nice chicks with big titties in your trunk (ore one usual fat american dude)
No fat-shaming. Especially as I am a big American dude.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,348 Posts
So...back to OP’s original issue. First order is to determine if the problem is engine or transmission.
I would do a Diagnostic Report at hot idle using OBD Fusion to see the trouble codes and fuel system parameters (MAF, fuel trims, fuel status, etc.).
Read the transmission trouble codes using BMW Scanner 1.4, INPA, Carly, or similar software.
Post all that here for review and suggestions.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,973 Posts
I'm with BaliDawg on this one. I'd start looking into diagnostics and see if everything checks out. I had a 325Ci vert for 5 years next to my 325Ci coupe. I'm sure it was heavier but no performance I could pick up on the butt dyno.

·
Registered
675 Posts
325ci 2001 convertible
Isn’t it all relative?
im in a 330ci vert manual and i never feel it throws me back in the seat. Yeah the tires can squeal and lose traction but these are not 0-60 cars...

Maybe M3 is for you?

·
Premium Member
2003 330ci Convertible Sport package
54 Posts
I've found my 330 vert to be bitchy off the line also. However, sometimes it really seems to be quick. For sure has a mind of it's own. I find that 2nd gear (auto) is no mans land unless you are past the kickdown.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
517 Posts
Isn’t it all relative?
im in a 330ci vert manual and i never feel it throws me back in the seat. Yeah the tires can squeal and lose traction but these are not 0-60 cars...

Maybe M3 is for you?
Isn’t it all relative?

Maybe M3 is for you?
Exactly! These cars are meant to be driven and to enjoy the drive .Geez you want a fast 0 60? A cheap Civic SI, ancient Rx7 will do the trick but doubt you will be enjoying the DRive?
Maybe I'm just getting old...LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice to see there are actual guys that own tools on here also🙄. I have the Carly reader which I believe also shows live data, I’ll mess with it and get back to you. I do know I need to redo ccv and intake boots as I’ve already patched them temporarily with epoxy and electrical tape. So I’m sure I’ve got vacuum issues
My other car is an 11 second 1962 beetle so suck it comedians 😆

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
Fwiw, the screeching transmission is more concerning than the likely deferred maintenance and vac leaks causing the sluggishness off the line. Do you know the service history?

At some point, do a cheap cigar smoke test to look for vacuum leaks (remove the cabin air filter housing & the plastic engine covers):

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hard to tell if it’s trans or vac leak screech, I notice it when rpms are about 4000 and when tranny shifts and RPMs drop noise goes away. I’ll have to have someone else drive while I listen closer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts