E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the boards and using this oil for a long time but now my oil change is about due and i am just wondering, why is 0W40 the best after 100k?

The people outside the forum base websites still use the 5W-30 way past 100K and they have no complaints, so whats the true difference ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's just oil. There's more than just oil after 100k...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
Just Nuts
7,245 Posts
It is LL-01 approved.
So is 100 other oils. The OP is claiming it to be the best. Why is it the best if it's approved just like the 100 other oils ? To be the best it would be reasonable to expect BMW to recommend it.

Since approved oils are only good for topping up, even if it is the best, mobil 1 can only be the best for topping up in small amounts. Even if it is the best, it can only be the best of non-recommended oil. Even the worst recommended oil is better than it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
So is 100 other oils. The OP is claiming it to be the best. Why is it the best if it's approved just like the 100 other oils ? To be the best it would be reasonable to expect BMW to recommend it.

Since approved oils are only good for topping up, even if it is the best, mobil 1 can only be the best for topping up in small amounts. Even if it is the best, it can only be the best of non-recommended oil. Even the worst recommended oil is better than it.
My guess is what they recommend is the oil that is produced by the guy that gives them the biggest envelope..

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
It's good... hence why I use it for all my oil changes. But to claim it's the best is a bit of the stretch. There are several other excellent alternatives in addition to Mobil 1 0-W40.

33,392 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Use the Mobil 1, but only the 0-40. Or use the BMW oil. The M1 is a better oil and is more of a "cleaner" than the OEM, but the OEM is more stable but is a Group III.

Don't listen to goingnuts. Give him enough rope and he hangs himself, which is pretty funny to watch.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Maybe you guess incorrectly. Maybe they recommend an oil because it is the best oil.
Very well could be.. there was a post on a WRX forum if I remember right where they did testing on all the oils and the Mobil 1 components were all scoured and such while Royal Purple and Redline were the best, looked like brand new almost..

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have been following the boards and using this oil for a long time but now my oil change is about due and i am just wondering, why is 0W40 the best after 100k?

The people outside the forum base websites still use the 5W-30 way past 100K and they have no complaints, so whats the true difference ?
Where has anyone claimed that it best to start using M1 0W-40 after 100k miles? This is the first I've heard of that. It's fine to use any time.

No one will have any complaints using either oil.

Except our resident troll, of course.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
IMO Castrol 0w-30 is probably the best of all the LL-01 oils. I'm basing this opinion off of UOAs of both oils, in addition to the fact that in the case of the Alpina b7, the only two oils approved are BMWs own and Castrol's 0w-30. None of the other LL-01s are approved in that car's case, which to me suggests the 0w-30 meets a standard above and beyond what LL-01 calls for.

You don't need to switch oils at 100k. These are engines that can last 300-400k miles with proper maintenance; 100k is nothing.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Define "best".

With all the oil debate threads out there, I'm surprised how little supporting data there is.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
100k is indeed nothing and M1 0-40 is certainly not the best.

I do believe that the GC 0-30 is probably a tier above the other oils when it comes to LL-01's. I will probably run it in the near future but right now I'm trying out Royal Purple 10-40 with favorable results. Car runs exceptionally smooth and for the first time ever, it's actually not burning any oil!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts