BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I took my 2004 325i to the dealership to get a few things done to it (oil change, micro filters, etc.) It's under warranty, so when I go to the dealership I point out every possible thing that is or could be wrong with it in hopes of getting that specific part replaced for free.
This time I pointed out that the rear passenger jack pad was missing, my anti-freeze always ran low, and screws were missing from my splash guard under the engine.
They called me the next day and told me that not a single one of those issues would be covered under warranty. A little frustrating but understandable. The splash guard was going to cost me 75 and the jack pad was 65, labor included. I told them not to put the jack pad on but to go ahead and replace the splash guard.
I get it home today and checked everything out. It turns out, they replaced the jack pad, and tore the old splash guard off WITHOUT PUTTING A NEW ONE ON!!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. My dealership rocks, but I hear the rest of them suck. Take the jack pad back off, and send it back to them to finish the job of replacing the splash guard :shhh:

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. My dealership rocks, but I hear the rest of them suck. Take the jack pad back off, and send it back to them to finish the job of replacing the splash guard :shhh:
:werd:

Seems like it's a hit or miss with a lot of dealers. I'd definitely go back and kindly tell them to fix their mistake. I also wouldn't take off the jack pad, just because of the various problems that could arise from touching their mistake.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
My dealership is top notch. One of the mechanics there is the only one who works on Ferrari's in the local area. When my subframe was getting checked out....and they let me see everything....I was wondering what a Ferrari was doing there. They even got over me getting into an accident in the snow with a new 3 series X drive sedan loaner.

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
A couple of days ago I took my 2004 325i to the dealership to get a few things done to it (oil change, micro filters, etc.) It's under warranty, so when I go to the dealership I point out every possible thing that is or could be wrong with it in hopes of getting that specific part replaced for free.
This time I pointed out that the rear passenger jack pad was missing, my anti-freeze always ran low, and screws were missing from my splash guard under the engine.
They called me the next day and told me that not a single one of those issues would be covered under warranty. A little frustrating but understandable. The splash guard was going to cost me 75 and the jack pad was 65, labor included. I told them not to put the jack pad on but to go ahead and replace the splash guard.
I get it home today and checked everything out. It turns out, they replaced the jack pad, and tore the old splash guard off WITHOUT PUTTING A NEW ONE ON!!!!
...and what did you hear about the coolant always running low? Was it coz of the missing screws in the splash shield? They just topped it off, right? Keep an eye on your coolant system...as in...keep an eye on it. Monitor level carefully...keep it between min and max and check in a.m. for reliable comparison. If you're losing coolant, you've got to fix it...that is, unless we're talking an oz every few months or less...and if that, then start looking at your radiator! Srsly, OP, I hope they either fixed it or that you get it fixed by them before your warranty period. I'm sure some minor amount of loss is to be expected, but beyond that, you want to know where you're coolant is going! You running rough at all when you just start her up...original owner or not?

BTW, lubricate cap with coolant before putting it back on...and you might want to start reading cooling threads too.

Also, if you go to the parts guy at dealer, you can buy all the replacement screws you need for aggregate protective plate...and get yours back soon, before it intermingles with all the others left behind!

Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug, you are the reason why I love this forum.
About the coolant issue. I noticed the floater was low, but I could see antifreeze in the tank and my car was not overheating at all. I decided to add water to see how low it was (I know water isn't the best thing to add, but I had nothing else). I ended up only adding about a cup to it, and it was at max. The next day i checked it again, and it was below minimum again, but again, only required on cup to fill it up. It seems It would leak one cup of antifreeze and stop, because that's all that is missing no matter the interval I check it. The dealership did a coolant flush and it appears to be fine now.

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
Doug, you are the reason why I love this forum.
About the coolant issue. I noticed the floater was low, but I could see antifreeze in the tank and my car was not overheating at all. I decided to add water to see how low it was (I know water isn't the best thing to add, but I had nothing else). I ended up only adding about a cup to it, and it was at max. The next day i checked it again, and it was below minimum again, but again, only required on cup to fill it up. It seems It would leak one cup of antifreeze and stop, because that's all that is missing no matter the interval I check it. The dealership did a coolant flush and it appears to be fine now.
Firstly...tks! Though, with me, I can't reciprocate on the first thread!:lmao:

Second...this is all recent, so keep your eye on coolant anyway and don't trust 'appears to be fine.' You recall if coolant was blue to begin with?

If it always ran low, as you say, then you'd been a new owner for not too long, and got very lucky...it was always like that before?

Unless they actually did something besides flush the coolant, I'm not seeing how a consistent loss would stop...unless it had just not been bled properly and you've just never used heat...but I'm not 100% on that...have heard heater valve opens when off to do something...but you bleed cold...technically...with heater on...How long you have car, AT? How many miles?

I'm going to say that you still will have a loss of coolant...monitor as I've suggested...always in a.m., and always lubricate cap with coolant...just coz I think it makes a big difference! You have distilled water around? In my religion, that's the required fluid to mix with bmw blue stuff, so if you want our relationship to last, you'll have to use only that...despite the fact I know the dealer prolly didn't! Would be funny sometime to ask for an empty distilled bottle from them! LOL

Keep an eye on things, OP, coz I think you'll want to find everything wrong with your car that warranty would cover. How long you have left on it?

The cooling system, though, isn't self mending...and I wouldn't think dealer would stoop to adding something like bars leaks to get you past warranty period. Also, note you do not want to overfill...fill between min and max...and finally...

Don't be surprised if you need to add a little coolant tomorrow, just coz they just flushed it, and I'd expect it to drop a little...it always does with me.

BTW, there are many, many here who are really helpful...just happens that I'm here avoiding stuff...but you should take my advice very rarely...only when you're desperate! Just watch out for some of these guys around here (all the women seem really nice!)...and make sure that you don't take anyone's advice (especially mine!) before waiting for a consensus. I guess a lot, so improve my odds of getting it right...but don't tell the others...but I will do my own version of vetting before just going out and deciding to buy a new maf or replacing all my plugs just 'coz.' Many are really good here...and I love this place too...except for the Poli forum!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts