E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,580 Posts
because they are just springs sitting on a perch. not a full bodied coilover system designed specific for hte application.

Although GC do have their set of cils with shocks.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,580 Posts
I had Skunkworks Coils on my old accord. teamed with Tokicos. worked perfectly. awsoem ride too.

·
hammer talks like this
4,204 Posts
i was gonna buy them at one time... but its a shelve. not a true coilover in some ppl's eyes. amir has them on his ride, and its low. my friend has them on his integra and the ride is bouncy.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
lilherc79 said:
because they are just springs sitting on a perch. not a full bodied coilover system designed specific for hte application.

Although GC do have their set of cils with shocks.
Not true at all. GC coilovers can be custom tailored to your own needs. You can provide specific spring rates for your application. Do you really think H&R specifically valves each strut for each application....I doubt it. I would prefer a set of Koni SAs or DAs over H&Rs anyway....

Basically, GC is regarded as a Honda tuner, and most BMW people refuse to buy parts from a company that also caters to the Honda folks. GC has alot of race history, and have been the pioneers of many bmw products.

·
Registered
100 Posts
GC versus H&R

so amir, you would take the GC coilovers over the H&R coilovers??? what spring rate are you using in the front and rear?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I've always been a believer in Konis, and while H&R makes excellent products, why pay more for something when you can achieve the same, if not better results, at a lesser cost?.

475f and 600r rates. I bought the coils from a friend who used to do alot of track time.......that's the reason why they are pretty stiff rates.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You know, You shouldn't knock Ground Control...the springs are made by EIBACH!!!! I think everyone would agree they are one of the top suspension companies out there. Ground Control paired with a nice set of Bilstein's, Tokico Illumina Adjustable, Koni or whatever works well. It's when you put them on STOCK shocks is when you have problems. That said, its much easier to install the full coilovers from H&R..and the cost can be cheaper!

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,580 Posts
Amir said:

Not true at all. GC coilovers can be custom tailored to your own needs. You can provide specific spring rates for your application. Do you really think H&R specifically valves each strut for each application....I doubt it. I would prefer a set of Koni SAs or DAs over H&Rs anyway....

Basically, GC is regarded as a Honda tuner, and most BMW people refuse to buy parts from a company that also caters to the Honda folks. GC has alot of race history, and have been the pioneers of many bmw products.
of course, i basically ignored those facts because the fact that they are hnoda tuners. not to mention the race their cars to prove their springs. yes they make custm spring rates as well.

btw, when i say applications i meant models. otherwise there would be countless amounts of applications.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I run a GC race suspension on my E30 track car. The suspension is first rate stuff. Their staff is very good at helping you choose spring rates and customizing a package for you. If I were to do it again, I'd run GC on my E46 instead of PSS9s.

(NOTE: I'm not sponsored by GC.)

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,083 Posts
Ground Control has some good stuff...especially if you want a true custom setup. They can build you a suspension to your specs. I recently helped install a GC setup on an E30 M3 track car and I was quite impressed with the setup.

BTW, GC has some of the nice camber/caster plates I have ever seen. :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have stock sport suspension on 18's and my ride is hella bouncy, just as bouny as my civic which has been lowered by 2.5" on stock shocks... my biggest complaint about my bimmer and others who ride in it is that it rides like hell... so any aftermarket strut would be unimaginable.

Unless my car is a suspension lemon which I highly doubt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
its all about performance versus showcar taste. GC is pure performance. Koni SA or DA shocks with Eibach springs. Completely customized and tuned for your driving needs. Whether it be 100% street to 100% track or somewhere inbetween.

Its not a showcar suspension system. Its a performance one. Thats why most people won't get it because its too bouncy/firm/can't get comfortable for daily driving. But its cornering ability is outstanding.

The setup for the M3 is a true coilover. But it also cost 2K.

I'm going to get GC coils. Have their sway bars coming in. All of my instructors run GC for a reason. If its not GC, then its H&R. Take a look at all the suspensions that the instructors are running. Its not coincidence. Also Jay and his team are top notch with excellent customer service and attitude (unlike several others).

The original intend of coilovers is to lower the car to provide the correct rake, geometry and then corner balance based on that angle. Your ride height might not be what you want. But its not for show. Its a performance tuned suspension. And proper corner balancing means that the driver side is 1/2" taller then the passenger side without the driver in it. When you get in, the car flatten's out.

Choosing a suspension system has to fit your needs. Those who choose GC are pretty serious drivers. You have to ask yourself want you want to do with the car. If you don't plan on tracking the car, then get a comfortable suspension system that has a soft setting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
hayaku said:
its all about performance versus showcar taste. GC is pure performance. Koni SA or DA shocks with Eibach springs. Completely customized and tuned for your driving needs. Whether it be 100% street to 100% track or somewhere inbetween.

Its not a showcar suspension system. Its a performance one. Thats why most people won't get it because its too bouncy/firm/can't get comfortable for daily driving. But its cornering ability is outstanding.

I'm going to get GC coils. Have their sway bars coming in. All of my instructors run GC for a reason. If its not GC, then its H&R. Take a look at all the suspensions that the instructors are running. Its not coincidence. Also Jay and his team are top notch with excellent customer service and attitude (unlike several others).

The original intend of coilovers is to lower the car to provide the correct rake, geometry and then corner balance based on that angle. Your ride height might not be what you want. But its not for show. Its a performance tuned suspension. And proper corner balancing means that the driver side is 1/2" taller then the passenger side without the driver in it. When you get in, the car flatten's out.

Choosing a suspension system has to fit your needs. Those who choose GC are pretty serious drivers. You have to ask yourself want you want to do with the car. If you don't plan on tracking the car, then get a comfortable suspension system that has a soft setting.

no wonder why my car is higher from the driver side than the passenger side.by like 1/2" or 3/4"

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The Bouncy ride could very well have to due with the stiffness of the setup. Turn the dampening to left, at the top of the konis and you will see your bounciness fade away.

·
Registered
504 Posts
hayaku said:

Well said, bro!! It seems that people think that becasue GC use a shock body, that it isn't a true coilover. I disagree. Also, they are put down for making Honda products as well...a very poor argument. However, I have heard that GC's designs for Hondas are not nearly as good as for the BMW's.

Jay and his guys all have BMW's (except for one). They put a lot of research into designing a true performance setup. I know I have mentioned this at least 100 times on this forum but one of my close friends works at GC. He is also a Champ car driver for Team Kool Green and grew up racing with Dario and Paul Tracy. He has always sworn by GC, even before he started working for them. I have a set of coilovers waiting to go on my ride and I wouldn't even consider anything else. :thumbup:

·
Manwhore
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So i can call GC and they can give me a custom setup on what my plans are for the car? So they would be able to get me a GC kit that can be driven everyday with some kind of comfort? How much would custom ordering it cost?

Oh and GREAT THREAD!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts